RAM - Matched Pair or Unmatched Question

pgold21

Registered
I am thinking of buying a MacBook Pro or a regular MacBook but the question applies to both.

The Mac store sells the basic version of both with 512MB but I'd like to upgrade to 1GB (2x 512mb to get dual channel).

If I order custom from the Mac website I can get 2x 512MB off the same assembly line I'm assuming. Are these tested and matched pairs from the factory? Will this be any different than if I buy the 512mb version in the store and have them add another 512 to make 1GB total? (I know Apple charges more for the memory but then it is covered by Apple Care)

Summary:
Does Mac test and pair perfect matches of memory for multiple dimms configurations?
Will matched pairs of RAM perform better than two of the same dimm/size from the same manufacturer but produced at different times??

Thanks folks.

id like to know about this too. i have a standard macbook with 2x256mb but want to upgrade to 1gb.
will it work well with 1x256 and 1x1gb, or is it best to get 2x512 instead? what differences would it make to match it? does aftermarket ram void the applecare i paid for?
thanks in advance

I'm only talking about the MacBook here, not the MacBook Pro... It's important to have matching DIMMS, mostly because of the integrated graphics performance, which uses RAM. RAM speed will be better if you use sticks of matching size. You probably wouldn't notice any performance hit by going 256+1024, mainly because the larger amount of RAM makes a good increase in performance, but I've heard you _would_ notice the graphics performance. So I'd advise you to either get 512+512 or 1024+1024 - and try to sell the 256 MB sticks, although that could be a tough sale...

The 256's won't fetch much on eBay, you may want to consider keeping them for backup/troubleshooting later on..

You're better off installing your own RAM than buying from Apple or paying someone to do it. I replaced one of my 256MB sticks with a 1GB stick, and my MacBook runs fine. From what I have read, the performance hit is only 3% by having unmatched RAM. When I can afford, I'll replace the 256 with another 1 gigger.
Installing our own RAM shouldn't affect the warranty. Here's some simple instructions.
http://www.creativemac.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=44404

Back