RAM not showing up after repair

jonparadise

Registered
My Powerbook had 1.5gb of RAM in it, which wasw working fine. My CD drive went pear shaped at Christmas, so I took it to the Regent Street Apple store, they fixed it pretty fast, but it always seems a little slowers.

I checked today, and it only registered 512mb RAM, so I took it apart and both RAM cards were there. So I swapped them around, and now it only registers the 1Gb RAM.

It seems, since the repair at the Apple Store, my Powerbook now only recgonises the RAM installed in the top slot.

Is this a hardware problem I can check and fix, or do I have to trawl into the Apple Store again?

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Jon

Sounds like a serious hardware issue. Try resetting PRAM (probably won't do anything, but doesn't hurt to try). Hold down [apple]+[option]+P+R at startup until you hear a second reset chime. You will lose all your settings stored in PRAM, though.

Also, you can test the RAM using your original system software discs. Insert the disc before reseting the computer and hold down the [option] key as the computer restarts. You will see an OS9 type selection screen appear, letting you choose the hardware test. Select it. You will be able to see if the memory shows up at all there (at one point, faulty memory I recieved showed up in red and I exchanged the memory cards at the store until everything showed up ok). You can try the extended hardware test to test the memory and see if it is ok. Be warned, this may take upwards of 45 min to 1 hr.

THanbks MrNivit1,

Things have got a bit more curious though, I took it all out, and tested both RAM cards out, in both different slots.

It seems that if there is only one RAM slot loaded (either one) it is recognised. But if both slots are full, it only recognises one or the other.

I'm a but annoyed as, it wasn't like this until it went into repair at the Apple Store, and I can take it in again, but my Powerbook is now out of it's guarantee period, and I don't want to get slapped with a big bill for something they caused to start with.

Guess I don't have much choice.

Back