ram usage

ronin_X

Registered
how i can see the ram usage for each applications? and there is a way to shut off the virtual memory? i hope so cause my g3 yosemite sims really slow in a lot of process....

someone know the way to keep dock at side of monitor????

thank u my friend!!!!

how i can see the ram usage for each applications?

Use the top command in Terminal, or use ProcessView, located at /Applications/Utilities/

and there is a way to shut off the virtual memory?

If there is, not without some truly horrendous hacks. If OSX is slowing down, you don't have enough RAM to run what you're trying to run. Disabling vm is not the answer.

From Apples Performance.pdf (well worth downloading from http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/SystemOverview/Performance/Performance.pdf:
On Mac OS 9, all processes share a global, fixed-size 32-bit address space. Whenvirtual memory is enabled, a backing store file is created on a user-specifiedvolume. The size of this file, and thus the amount of available virtual memory, is
fixed at a user-specified setting. The file serves as a fixed-size container for allphysical RAM plus all additional virtual RAM. On a system with 64 MB of physicalRAM, a 65 MB virtual memory setting offers only one megabyte of virtual RAM.Additionally, because of limitations of the Mac OS 9 multitasking architecture,real-time processes (such as audio/video playback) may be starved for executiontime during even short periods of paging activity. Because of these and othersoftware compatibility issues, users of Mac OS 9 are allowed to disable virtualmemory. This is not necessary in Mac OS X.

someone know the way to keep dock at side of monitor????

You can use TinkerTool or Docking Maneuvers (both available from versiontracker, or you can just wait for 10.1.
[/quote]

thank u my friend!!!!

you're welcome friend! :)

If youu're asking how to make the dock stay in position in-between logouts and restarts, the answer is, you can't do it yet, but it is fixed in 10.1.

It's not impossible now to keep the dock where you want it in between logouts/restarts. go to versiontracker.com and get DockLock. It works on my cube!

Back