Random 10.4 Tiger Features I Like

adambyte

Registered
So, I was browsing through the full 200-feature list of 10.4 Tiger ( http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html )

And found a bunch of random features you DON'T hear getting hyped that I think are cool.

DVD Video Zoom
Magnify the video image to reduce or eliminate the black letterbox bars that appear on some DVDs while maintaining high video quality.

Thank God! I can't stand it when the dummies who encoded the wide-screen movie encode the black bars into the actual video track, making the actual video track more TV-ratio, thus making my PowerBook's wide-screen useless.

Photo Controls in Mail
Resize photos before they are sent — Mail can tell you when a picture is too large for your ISP.

Ooh! Handy!

Automatic Power Profiles
Experience more efficient battery usage because Tiger learns how you use your computer and automatically adjusts its power consumption to maximize battery life.

What the...? How the heck does it do that? Think it'll make my battery last longer than just two hours?

AIM Profiles
Easily edit your AIM profile directly from iChat — no need to launch AIM first.

Oh goody.

RSS Visualizer Screen Saver
View a realtime display of Hot News from the Apple Hot News RSS feed as your screen saver, which uses the graphic power of Quartz and Core Image.

Neat... but... what I'd like is a screensaver that does this with various news sources like CNN and BBC....

Automatic Bandwidth Detection
Enjoy the fastest possible streaming feed based on your network connection. And if the feed is lost, QuickTime will reconnect automatically.

Finally, the computer is slowly getting smarter.

Wireless Image Capture
Wirelessly import images from camera-equipped cellphones via Bluetooth or next-generation digital cameras via WiFi.

Well then... guess I'll just have to... become rich so I can get one of the new-fangled-fancy-dancy cameras....

AND FINALLY...

Buy Printing Supplies
Easily purchase supplies for your printer right from Mac OS X Tiger.

Oh goody! Now it's even EASIER for the printer companies to rip me off with over-priced ink cartridges!

Tile Game Widget
Scramble a photo and put it back together again — then create a different puzzle just by drag a new photo onto the Tile Game.

YAY! The Puzzle Desk Accessory is back from system 7! Now, back with a vengance!

The RSS screensaver can use any RSS-feed you've subscribed to in Safari. Just add a bookmark somewhere for an RSS-feed and it'll pop up in the screensaver's preference options. It's nice actually.

The #1 feature I'm most looking forward to is performance improvements. Hopefully I won't be disappointed (I just switched back to Safari 1.3 after using Firefox for a while because of it's significant speed adjustments).

Also Xcode 2.0 will hopefully compile faster.. and all the new UI components available :) I love that stuff..

I never ever use Find/Search in Mac OS X now... so Spotlight won't be that useful.. I'm already organized enough ;)

Dashboard will be sweet. I want to start creating widgets for it asap.

QuickTime 7 Player will be nice..

And.. hopefully new dual processor dual core G5's to complement everything new in Tiger (hoping!).

Back