Random Dropped Internet Connection?

ksuther

Registered
Anyone have problems with your DCHP connection coming from you router suddenly being dropped? It's getting really annoying here for me :eek:

Maybe it's a TiBook related problem, I have to log out and back in to fix it...
Hmm.

I've never tried DHCP in OS X. Does your router require you to use DHCP, or are you on a network that's not yours? I always prefer internal static IPs over DHCP, it's just easier to organize and keep track of multiple computers, as well as set up things like port forwarding.

Also, maybe it could be your router, or a hub, or a loose or incorrect ethernet cord plugin somewhere along the line? I don't think OS X has any known DHCP problems, I know I haven't heard of any. So it could be something on your physical network, or maybe something to do with energy saving settings on your TiBook? I know on my iMac, when it goes to total sleep and I wake it up, ICQ and AIM go into a total spasm, so maybe you're having a similar problem wtih DHCP?

But also make sure you check your physical network, I was having a problem with half of the house getting their net access cut off.. It had me totally stumped til I redid the wiring at my 2nd hub and realized I had the wire that goes to the other hub far away into the uplink port instead of a regular port, I switched it and haven't had a problem since. So phyisical network can be a problem, too.

Back