Random Odd Text/Font Problems...

hinotoxin

Registered
So does anyone have any explanation why my computer suddenly and randomly (I had not installed or updated any software) decided that some of my fonts are missing?

I noticed it when I started up Adium, all the fonts on my contact list and messages had been reset to a plain, large text. I was able to change the fonts on the contact list to one I had downloaded, but when I try changing the font that I actually send messages with (usually Georgia), it won't allow it to be changed.

Then I opened up Camino and noticed that some of the text on certain pages has changed too, when I went into the font preferences it says Georgia (missing). But Georgia is still there in the font folder of the main library...

Also sometimes when typing in Camino and deleting stuff, it goes all weird like so:
Picture1-1.jpg

And sometimes when I click eg. after a word to add more text, the letters I type start appearing in the middle of the word, instead of after it.

I've tried reinstalling both Adium and Camino but it didn't seem to make a difference... Just wondering if anyone has any clue as to why this would happen.

First, try repairing permissions (see my sig below).

Then, download FontExplorer to manage your fonts (FontBook that comes with macs is not very good): http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorer

Once you download, run FE and go to Tools/Clean System Fonts folder. The fonts moved from that folder will be in a likewise marked folder in your hard drive. Put that folder in a MY FONTS or similarly named folder in which you put all of your non-system required fonts.

Fonts do get corrupted from time to time so you can have FE check for those. Find that tool in the Tools menu.

Back