Random questions...

BoneFill

Registered
1.- Any body knows if openoffice.org can use GTK themes? it looks really ugly the way it is... it'll be cool if I can use the same GTK theme I'm using for all the rest (AquaGraphite from themes.org) ...

2.- I can get no sound on x11 apps exept for xmms and gnome wich seems to work right... I've read somewhere that some apps use some sound engine called "NAS" (Network Audio System)... is it secure to install it? cause you know, I don't want to harm my system by installing something on "root" level...

2.1.- If I open a gnome app inside gnome I can hear that sound is working right but if I just open some gnome app without starting "gnome-session" by typing lets say "gnibbles" on an x term it opens but no sound... is there a way to fix that?

2.2.- Or, is there a way to install/compile things that are not in fink in the /sw dir? I know it can be done by typing "make install --something[prefix]=PATH" is just that I dont know what that could mean and other times I don't get that far because of... (see #3)

3.- Some programs wont compile right when libraries are installed on /sw and not on "root" level... is there a way to fix that...

4.- I've found that if you install gnome you can force it to use quartz-wm by opening it with an xterm inside apple X11 typing gnome-sesion on it instead of typing startx on terminal.app nor the "gnome-session" on xinitrc thing, you just have to wait a little bit the first time cause it will show off some errors about you can only have 1 wm at the time, then it'll add quartz-wm to the wm gnome panel... now, I want it to open inmediatly and adding "gnome-session" on xinitrc is not working, is there a way to fix that? < I got this fixed :D >

5.- The icons inside gnome looks ugly is there a way to use them at full res? I can fix this icon problem by instaling nautilus or changing gnome for KDE but KDE is sloooooooow and nautilus just don't want to work right, so...

thnx!!

Some news:

1, 2, 3.- Nothing yet

4.- It seems that the fix didn't work well since now I have to launch gnome-session from the xterm again...

none of the things I've tried on xinitrc work:

gnome-session
exec gnome-session
/sw/bin/gnome-session
/sw/bin/./gnome-session
exec /sw/bin/gnome-session

any other suggestion?

5.- It seems that it is a size matter, I've replaced some 48X48 icons with 128X128 ones now they have lost some pixels but transparencies and colors are fine... I'll try with a smaller size like 64X64 later....

for your .xinitrc thing: how many things do you have in there? Have you appended & to the end of commands that are not the last? ie mine looks like this:

Eterm &
quartz-wm

After
# start some nice programs

I just keep

quartz-wm &
xterm

This things works just fine but if I add the gnome-session thing after "xterm &" gnome never starts...

The only way for me to run gnome with quartz-wm is if:

1.- I only have "gnome-session" after "# start some nice programs" in xinitrc and then call "startx" from terminal.app

2.- Call "gnome-session" from xterm when X is already open.

BTW I'm not using a .xinitrc file, I'm using the one at /etc/x11/xinit/xinitrc and I keep a copy of the original xinitrc on a txt file...

About the icon res matter, forget what I've said, icons looks great on desktop maybe because of the shadow added by MacOSX but they look terrible on MC... now I'm trying with other formats with "alpha" support like .xpm ...

Thnx...

2.2.- Or, is there a way to install/compile things that are not in fink in the /sw dir? I know it can be done by typing "make install --something[prefix]=PATH" is just that I dont know what that could mean and other times I don't get that far because of... (see #3)

Okay, I finaly understand WTH was that about "--prefix=PATH" it happens to be very useful if you are "scared" (like me) of installing things on "root" level and it fixes the issue #3...

Works like this:

You download any *nix package you want and the packages it depends on.. (first check at fink installations cause maybe you don't have to d/l anything but the package you're interested in)...
then do the next:

1.- Unzip the packages
2.- open terminal.app and go into the new package folder
3.- type "./configure --prefix=/sw" (this will search the places to install and libraries for compile on "/sw" instead of "/"
4.- then type "make"
5.- finally type "make install"

Now you have everything installed on "/sw" with all things placed on the right folder ie. /sw/bin /sw/share ... etc....

Hope this helps... it works for me... :D

now I'm having some problems at the "./configure" part with libraries that I'm sure I have installed and some other problems at "make"...

To be more specific I'm having problems with Python, OpenGL and SDL_image libraries at "./configure", I'm not much troubled by SDL_image nor OpenGL not working even when I'm sure it's installed but Python seems to be important since a lot of apps asks for it...
I have Python 2.2 installed but at the end of the "./configure" appears a message telling me something about "could not link to" (same message for SDL and OpenGL) and directing me to Python's website... from where I've D/L the MacOSX installer....

That's for the configure part, now... for the make part I'm going to be more specific, I'm trying to install gaim-0.59.8 (gaim more info) "./configure --prefix/sw" ran successfully then at "make" I'm suddenly prompted because of:

------
[MacDaniel:~/Desktop/gaim-0.59.8] danielbuenfil% make
make all-recursive
Making all in m4
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in sounds
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Making all in plugins
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/include -I.. -I/sw/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/sw/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0 -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -I\.. -I\../src -DVERSION=\"0.59.8\" -c autorecon.c -o tmpautorecon.so.lo
/bin/sh ../libtool --silent --mode=link gcc -I/sw/include -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/include -I.. -I/sw/include/gnome-1.0 -DNEED_GNOMESUPPORT_H -I/sw/lib/gnome-libs/include -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include/gdk-pixbuf-1.0 -I/sw/include/gtk-1.2 -I/sw/include/glib-1.2 -I/sw/lib/glib/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/sw/include -I\.. -I\../src -DVERSION=\"0.59.8\" -o libtmpautorecon.so.la -rpath /sw/lib/gaim tmpautorecon.so.lo -L/sw/lib -module -avoid-version
usage: cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-p] src target
cp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-f | -i] [-p] src1 ... srcN directory
make[2]: *** [autorecon.so] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
-----

Any ideas? :confused:

Thnx!

I forgot to mention that I've tried to install gaim from Fink but it sends a lot of errors then it just stop installation...

I finally get everything working the way i wanted to... i have installed some things with different results the one that impress me the most are a game called IceBreaker which is kinda clone of JezzBall but indeed better... the thing is that this game runs as a native app without the Xserver i asked the developer 'bout that behavior and he said:

Matthew Miller (developer): This is the Power Of SDL at work -- it's a cross-platform library, so a
native version doesn't require X or anything special.

Can someone confirm that and tell me 'bout more apps running that way? Cause i can't make any other app work that way

Also if you go to developer's site you'll notice that he's asking for a pre-compiled Mac version of that game... can someone help him on that (i'll do it but i don't know how) also help including an icon on the executable:

Me: 4.- Not a bug but... an icon will be great..... :p
Matthew Miller (developer): There's an icon there; I dunno how they get attached to executables in OS X.

I've said to developer that the game is using ESD (sound engine) to play sounds and that it has some glitches:

Matthew Miller (developer): Yeah, if it's using ESD as you say, maybe that's less than ideal.

Can you tell me how to redirect the sound to another sound engine instead of ESD?

TIA

Not easy to do, as you'd need to hack the program you're compiling to use Darwin's sound system...means using the CoreAudio stuff. You can check out the documentation for it with Project Builder, but you really need some programming experience to be able to implement it.

BTW, I have an answer for your original 3rd question. To include files in /sw that fink installed, you need to type either setenv CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" and setenv LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" if you're using tcsh as your terminal shell (the default with OS X), or export CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" and export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" if you're using bash or sh.

Oh, and it's quite safe to not use --prefix="some/path" when you're compiling stuff - it will default to /usr/local if you don't set it to something else. That won't mess with any of the default stuff with OS X, as that all is installed in /usr.

'Course, if you want it somewhere other than /usr/local, you'll need to use the --prefix="" still. ;)

Not easy to do, as you'd need to hack the program you're compiling to use Darwin's sound system...means using the CoreAudio stuff. You can check out the documentation for it with Project Builder, but you really need some programming experience to be able to implement it.

Then I guess i won't do it since i have less than no programing experience :D

BTW, I have an answer for your original 3rd question. To include files in /sw that fink installed, you need to type either setenv CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" and setenv LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" if you're using tcsh as your terminal shell (the default with OS X), or export CFLAGS="-I/sw/include" and export LDFLAGS="-L/sw/lib" if you're using bash or sh.

Thx for that but to be honest I'm almost sure I have done that when i installed Fink the first time... noticed I've said "almost sure"? :p I guess i can do it again without harm anything, right?

THX again... :)

Back