(Rant) Stupid label printing in Address Book

bunner bob

Registered
OK, I guess it's nice they decided to add label printing to Address Book, but why don't they let you select WHICH label to print on, or start with (if you're printing several). Maybe Apple's in cahoots with Avery - get people to waste more label sheets. Hey, those things ain't cheap!

I used to use Now Contact, which DID let you specify which label to print on (IIRC).

If I was going to actually USE this feature, I'd end up with a lot of label sheets with the top left (and bottom right) corners missing.

Geez!

- Bob

Dude, you must be cursed. After reading this and the several Mail-related posts, I have to wonder if anything Mac-related goes your way. :p

Naw, just a crabby perfectionist. That's the thing about these forums - all you ever hear about is what's going wrong. Actually my iBook is a champ, as is my G4 (now that I got some decent RAM the kernel panics have gone away).

I guess I have high expectations for software. I'm always surprised that the people who spend probably thousands of hours developing this stuff miss all these little details - like the label thing in Address Book. When it's the little guy doing the work I have sympathy. Like Hamrick Software, who make VueScan (the universal scanner program - not perfect but great anyway, and a nice company to deal with). But when it's the big guys you get the feeling that either they aren't really connecting with their users, in the real world, or (like Macromedia) they just don't care. Macromedia keeps releasing buggy software that, it seems, everyone is bitching about. Do they release updates? No. They release a new, just as buggy version and charge you $129 to upgrade. You should hear my Flash developer friend go on...

My favorite program (probably because I use it a lot, developing PHP) is BBEdit. It just plain works, they release lots of little updates, which fix bugs AND add new featuers, and don't charge for them. I also feel pretty good about Adobe - they haven't quite figured out the whole interconnect between Photoshop, Imageready and Golive, but it is getting better, and at least it all works pretty well. Though - they still haven't added secure FTP to Golive - the only reason I'm not upgrading.

No, life on the Mac is generally good for me, forum postings notwithstanding.

- Bob

I've been using Avery for labels for years. No better program for this. I'm still using it. Works fine in Classic.

BeLight Software today announced a new Mac OS X tool to design and print envelopes, shipping and address labels. Mail Factory allows the user to save time and money on preparing address labels, offering integration with Address Book, Entourage, and other sources as well as support for most popular labels (Avery, DYMO, APLI, AOne, Herma, etc.) and envelope formats as well as DYMO LabelWriters printers. It also features the ability to add logos, use the package images and design templates, and apply graphic effects. It includes sozens of ready-made designs and 500 clipart images. It will be released in May for $30.

http://www.belightsoft.com/mailfactory/

Back