RE: max/minimizing windows

MacGyver

Registered
Hello.

Can someone please help me with this question? In every window, there are 3 buttons on the top left hand corner. 1 red (x), 1 yellow(-), and 1 green(+). The red closes the window, the yellow minimizes the window, and the green makes the 3 buttons go away. I don't know how to get the buttons back again after clicking on the green (+) button. Please help.

Thank you!

-Mac

The green button shouldn't make the three buttons go away!

The only exception I can think of is that in iTunes, the green button will change the window to a controller view, and move the three buttons to three smaller buttons down the left side of the controller. I think iMovie, also, has unusual behaviour with the green button. Generally, though, the green button only resizes the window, and doesn't change anything.

Typically, the green button resizes the window to fit the contents.

On some applications, there is a longish button at the right end of the title bar that can hide and show the toolbar buttons. You aren't talking about that though, are you?

Can you tell us what sort of window you are using (what application) please.

Hi.

I've revised my question about maximizing and minimizing windows. The programs that I am using is Internet Explorer and folders we create on the desktop. I have found that by pressing the "green" (+) button, the window in Explorer resizes and fits underneath the main tool bar, where the apple, finder, view, etc. icons are located. And because of this the red, yellow, and the green buttons all go away, as well as, the minimizing and close buttons. I can't seem to get those buttons back. This also happened to the folders I created on the desktop. The window is "pulled" upward so much that those icons I need for minimizing and closing are gone, and there's no way that I know of can pull those windows down, so I can see those icons again.

Please help!

Thank you so much!

-Mac

Are you saying that the windows are moved up to the top of the screen and the window's title-bar (where the close, minimize, and resize buttons live) is stuck undereath the Menu Bar?

(It's hard to understand what you're describing because your terminology is all wrong.)

Menu Bar: Lives at the top of the screen.

Title Bar: The draggable part at the top of every window.

Toolbar: The wide icon-filled bit at the top of some windows, such as Finder windows, Explorer windows, and the System Preferences window.

Icon: A pictorial representation of a disk, file, or folder.

Button: An item (sometimes an iconic representation of an action) which requires only one click to cause an action to occur.

If Finder windows end up underneath the menu bar you can use the "Arrange in front" command in the Finder's Window menu. It doesn't show up until you press the option (alt) key.

If things are consistently resizing improperly so that they get stuck under the menu bar there may be a problem with the Window Manager. There are a couple things you can do to bring it back to sane behavior:

- Run Disk Utility and do "Repair Permissions" on your startup disk.

- Delete the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist to reset the window manager.

- Change the screen resolution and tthen change it back again. (From the "Displays" System Preferences pane.)

Once you've done each of these operations restart the computer and see if it starts behaving better.

Back