Read only permissions on OS 10.5.4

eaglesrus

Registered
I am copying files from older DVDS onto an external hard drive attached to my computer. All the files are coming across as read only. How can this files be easily be made read/write?

There are a very large number of files in many folders, so save as or anything similiar is not an option.

Select the entire drive and "get info". Then go to the bottom of that, make sure the lock is selected (enter your admin password) and change all to Read/Write. Should work.

?? ... Are you sure you can make a DVD r/w? Or do you mean to make the whole system volume r/w? That could be a bad thing... Rather, I'd select the folder the respective files have been copied to on the harddrive and make it r/w, but I fear the files are actually _locked_, not just r/w-deficient. Which means you might want to try FileBuddy or a similar utility.

?? ... Are you sure you can make a DVD r/w? Or do you mean to make the whole system volume r/w? That could be a bad thing... Rather, I'd select the folder the respective files have been copied to on the harddrive and make it r/w, but I fear the files are actually _locked_, not just r/w-deficient. Which means you might want to try FileBuddy or a similar utility.

He said "external hard drive".

Back