READ THIS-if Classic won't start

mchladek

Registered
I've read a few topics on this site about trouble open classic within OS X. I was having the exact same problem. I tried turning off all extensions and that didn't work either. I originally had OS 9 when I got my computer and downloaded 9.0.4 from Apple when it was released. I was about ready to give up when I figured why not reinstall the OS upgrade for the heck of it. I did that and to my surprise it actually worked. Classic now starts up perfectly even with all the extensions I had on before I got OS X. The only problem now is my USB printer won't work in Classic (going now to see if I can figure out how to fix that). Hope this helps.

Michael
P.S. I Love the Dock!!!

Thank you so much,

I went through the exact same path as you.

PS : You saved my life, parents hate changes and not being able to run classic apps to which they were accustomed was - to their eyes - inconceivable.

The only problem now is my USB printer won't work in Classic (going now to see if I can figure out how to fix that).
In OS X, the classic environment has no direct communication pathways to the hardware : the later is virtualised (or more correctly : shimmed). This is why the printing component of OS 9 cannot use the traditional drivers for your printer : it does not see it, therefore it cannot control it.

The only way you will be able to print in Classic will be when the OS X drivers will be available for your printer. Until then you will have to reboot in OS 9.

Back