Read this -

endian

Dis Member
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010802.html

According to these programmers, Microsoft wants to replace TCP/IP with a proprietary protocol -- a protocol owned by Microsoft -- that it will tout as being more secure. Actually, the new protocol would likely be TCP/IP with some of the reserved fields used as pointers to proprietary extensions, quite similar to Vines IP, if you remember that product from Banyan Systems. I'll call it TCP/MS.

How do you push for the acceptance of a new protocol? First, make the old one unworkable by placing millions of exploitable TCP/IP stacks out on the Net, ready-to-use by any teenage sociopath. When the Net slows or crashes, the blame would not be assigned to Microsoft. Then ship the new protocol with every new copy of Windows, and install it with every Windows Update over the Internet. Zero to 100 million copies could happen in less than a year, and that year could be prior to the new protocol even being announced. It could be shipping right now.

Although, now that I think of it, having all the windoze-using morons off on their own network doesn't sound like such a bad idea...

I remember something about M$ having to license Apple's TCP/IP for use in an OS so it could get finished on time. Anyone know about this? Possibly Bill's got some hard feelings about that. We'll he'll do the same thing to every other problem he can't control, he'll kill it.

Back