Reading UDF filesystems from digital camera is OSX??

Michael Carney

Registered
I just bought a Sony Mavica CD200 camera. The nice thing about this camera is that it saves its images to CD (either CD-R or CD-RW). The not-so-nice thing is that my Mac can't seem to read the resulting CDs. I've done a little research, and I think that the filesystem on the CDs is UDF. Looking around various sites, I see that OSX seems to have a problem with UDF formatted volumes.

Does anyone out there have any idea how to get OSX to read these CDs?? This is one of the main reasons that I bought this camera, and I'm quite disappointed in Apple if there's no way for me to read these CDs. Thankfully, I can get the images up to my computer through a USB cable and iPhoto.

While looking around, I found that these CDs are readable just fine in OS8 and OS9 with the help of the Adaptec UDF Volume Access extension, which doesn't help with OSX at all.

I've checked, and the CDs can be read fine in Linux, Windows, and Solaris.

My system is configured as follows:
- iMac DV Special Edition
- 640M Ram
- OSX 10.1.2

Thanks for any help!

If I do a man -k udf I see the following:

mount_udf(8) - mount a UDF filesystem
udf.util(8) - helps mount, probe, and unmount udf filesystems

And if I do a man -k 9660 I see the following:

cd9660.util(8) - helps mount, probe, and unmount cd9660 filesystems
mount_cd9660(8) - mount an ISO-9660 filesystem

So OSX seems to know something about these two file systems. So why can't I mount these successfully?

If I do a man -k udf I see the following:

mount_udf(8) - mount a UDF filesystem
udf.util(8) - helps mount, probe, and unmount udf filesystems

And if I do a man -k 9660 I see the following:

cd9660.util(8) - helps mount, probe, and unmount cd9660 filesystems
mount_cd9660(8) - mount an ISO-9660 filesystem

So OSX seems to know something about these two file systems. So why can't I mount these successfully?

Yeah Im trying to do the sane things. My guess is this after having read the man page for mount_udf

BUGS
UDF 1.50 is supported. UDF 2.0 and later is not.

that the Mavica disks are possibly UDF 2.0 or this service is not started at startup. We need a unix geek to help on this one.

Back