"Real" GUI SetiAtHome for OSX! Not TextOnly!!

but how the heck do you uninstall programs? just drag em to the trash? do they put extra libraries anywhere?

I think OSX programs (Cocoa ones, anyway) are actually directories, and I believe all the files needed to run those programs are contained therein. SO yes, I think that dragging an app to the trash should effectively get rid of all its deritus.

Also, the Apple Installer will alledgedly provide uninstall capability in future releases.

Originally posted by hekal
but how the heck do you uninstall programs? just drag em to the trash? do they put extra libraries anywhere?

Most programs can simply be put in the trash.
They only leave a Preference file in your user area.

Things like Seti@Home and Sharity however (And my Samba intstaller) put stuff in the StartupItems directory, because they are deamons. They constantly work, even when you are not logged in.

For instance people can acces your shares, even if you are not logged into your computer.
S@H screensaver works in the login screen. Simply do not login (or logout of course) and leave the loginwindow for a while. Now after the timelimit you set, the S@H screensaver will run.

Sharity can be uninstalled (There is a script to do that) but Samba can not. You have to remove the directories manually. S@H can be uninstalled by removin some directories from /Library

And indeed the final of the Installer will support an uninstall function.

DJ

If you read the documentation (i am not sure wich one, but i remember it had OS X in the file name) it gives u intsructions on how to uninstall it. All you have to do is su to root, type source with a space, and then drag in the script (or whatever it is) from the documentation folder! I did this a while ago, so i dont realy remember the exact details, so just read the documentation!

i like the text version better.. it's more 'scientific' looking if you run in it verbose mode, and probably faster. i just leave it running all the time in the dock.

I dont know if it was on this board, or on another. But I have seen numerous posts from people moaning that the MacOS X version of the SETi@Home client is slower than the PC one.

Here is the contradiction. My PC is Win2000 and it is running a PII 400. Has taken 3hr 43mins to do 11.771%. My Mac is an iMac DV and has taken 4hr 31mins to do 23%. So, it would take the PC about another 3 hours to double it's percentage, so it would take the PC 6 hours to do 23%.

MacOS X client is considerably faster than the PC one.

Contradiction over.

Regards,
Russ...
ruzz@mac.com

Well here is my unscientific assessment...

PIII 733mhz, W2k/XP, 256meg ram (with alot of junk running in the background) average time per unit 15hrs 33mins.

Celeron 500mhz, W2k, 192meg ram (not much else running)
average time per unit 15hrs 36mins.

imac 500mhz, 10.0.3, 256meg ram (my first mac only had it a week, I love it but I'm totally confused!) doing the first unit on it currently,
27% complete in 7hrs 1min.

OK this is my first mac and I don't know what I'm doing but the mac is painfully slow. I'm not getting the 10.1 upgrade till tomorrow I'll see if that makes any improvement. Anyway my P133 laptop takes 120hrs per unit so I can't really complain.

BTW Anyone know of a utility like SETI monitor to cache work units, I like to stare at the graph but cant be bothered dialing in everyday.

different work units differ in content, some being easier (ie faster) to process than others, i believe. unless you feed two machines the identical unit, you need to look at an average over time to appreciate which system is really running stronger.

http://www.ameri-becca.com/WUavg.htm

This page is bit out of date, and not too many Macs in the group. I started to post my averages but the process was a little tedious. But on my Dual 800 I get about 10 - 12 hours per WU, per processor using CLI. On my G3 400 laptop it's about 17 - 20.
And it's pretty well known that the CLI version is faster than GUI

MightyAtom - take a look at SetiCntl, I haven't used it but I think it caches WU's
http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11234&db=mac

Back