Real player for Mac OS X out!

shatfield1529

s|hatfield not shat|field
I probably haven't been paying attention, but over at the Real website, they have a beta of the RealOne player for Mac OS X posted.

Has this been out for a while, or am I actually one of the first people to know something?:rolleyes:

Dammit. :D It always takes me too damn long to find out about stuff like this. Someone has to be the last one, I guess.

It came out at the same time as QT6 did @ MW. I installed mine after Job's keynote when it was announced. Computer says on July 16, 2002.

It seems the new RealOne player for OS X interface is an improvement. The old one was terrible, and RealOne for Windows is awful too, combining a browser with Real Player, yuk.

I noticed it doesn't use the standard Aqua widgets, though. The mouseover effect (which is a major usability problem in the first place) only shows one button at a time. And if RealOne is in the background, rubbing your mouse over the widgets won't do anything. Very odd.

Agreed. Very odd. They probably had to hack together their own version of aqua because, as you can see the rest of the window isn't exactly aqua in looks or shape, either.

shatfield1529, may I suggest versiontracker.com? :)

I found RealOne beta like the day before it was announced - I just kept checking the Real.com site and there it was. :)

I LOVE RealOne's interface on the Mac! No bloatware, just simple and to the point - a PLAYER, no "Take over your computer" crap (well, yet - 10 bucks says it'll turn into the Windows Bloatware Version sooner or later).

Originally posted by shatfield1529
Dammit. :D It always takes me too damn long to find out about stuff like this. Someone has to be the last one, I guess.

It probably just means that unlike some of us, you have an actual life. You probably don't sit around staring at Mac websites waiting for any tiny little bit of news to give your otherwise meaningless existance a moment of excitement.

By the way, where is that beta of iSync?;)

Nobody else has said it so I guess I will...

RealOne for OS X SUCKS!!!!

I mean WTF, are they STILL using the Event Manager?! It gobbles idle CPU like a mofo! Its even worse than Acrobat Reader!

They should just make some QuickTime codecs and stop trying to sell their Real Player Plus crap. Does anybody BUY this crapware?!?!?!?!?!?

Originally posted by strobe
Nobody else has said it so I guess I will...

RealOne for OS X SUCKS!!!!

I mean WTF, are they STILL using the Event Manager?! It gobbles idle CPU like a mofo! Its even worse than Acrobat Reader!

They should just make some QuickTime codecs and stop trying to sell their Real Player Plus crap. Does anybody BUY this crapware?!?!?!?!?!?

It effectively plays real media files great... it does what it's supposed to do. It's a ton better than what we had prior to this, which was nothing. Some webcasts that I used to listen to are RM only, now I'll finaly get to listen to them. While I'm doing any task with RealOne I am probably not doing anything productive so I don't mind it eating up unused horsepower.

It's better than the alternatives, and I guess that means I like it... although I don't think I would ever pay for RP+

Back