Really dumb OmniWeb deficiency

hazmat

Rusher of Din
Anyone else find it really stupid that in the context menu for highlighted text in OmniWeb there is no "copy" (to clipboard) option? I find it very unintuitive, having to go back and forth unnecessarily between the keyboard and mouse.

Originally posted by Alexandert
I dont use OmniWeb but are you sure?? :confused: That would be toooooo stupid to be real!:p :rolleyes: :eek: :eek: :)

Positive. See attached capture. Come to think of it, it looks as if OmniWeb may be ignoring the highlighted text in the main browser windows all together.

I'm not at my computer right now (aka, I'm at work) so I can't check this -- Does OW copy the highlighted text with either the Edit menu or command-C? I know that OW works fine for recognizing control clicks on links, just wondering if it is missing the highlight altogether or it's just a problem with the context menu.

i may be totally wrong about this, but i can t think of any macos software that ever had that feature. i don t think it s part of the apple HI guidelines. can you get a contextual menu and copy text in any macos apps?

i always sort of thought that was a windows only feature.

i do know that OmniWeb is very strict about following apple s HI guidelines, so perhaps it s apple you should be complaining about, not omniweb

yep, i m wrong. TextEdit.app Mail.app do it. i didn t know OSX had that. i don t know why OmniWeb doesn t have it

I'm at work myself (on a #$%^&* Dell), so I can't check this. But that image is showing the contextual menu for a web page, not for the highlighted text.
I know I definitely have copied & pasted text from OW. Don't remember if there was any special trick to doing it, though.

of course you can still copy and such. you have to use command-C though, which means taking your hands off the mouse. i have been using macos for so long, that i am totally used to this, and comfortable with it, but i could totally understand that this would be annoying to someone who migrated from windows.

correct me if i am wrong (again), but classic mac os didn t have this feature? i lost my OS9 disk a long time ago, so i haven t seen it in many months.

Originally posted by lethe
of course you can still copy and such. you have to use command-C though, which means taking your hands off the mouse. i have been using macos for so long, that i am totally used to this, and comfortable with it, but i could totally understand that this would be annoying to someone who migrated from windows.

I think it's annoying in a lot of ways, and I'm sure a bug in OW. I find it simply bad when for some simply actions you can't use just the mouse or just the keyboard. I think it breaks the workflow. One other problem with OW I have is no "Go" button. Where I use to find that silly, I always treat my mice like in X Windows, where I assign 'Paste' to the middle button/wheel. So Highlight and copy text somewhere, go to the URL bar, paste, hit go. All with the mouse. Never needed to go to the keyboard at all. And vice versa. Other stuff I see no reason why I need to go to the mouse just to click a button, like in 'Cancel, OK" dialog box. Why I can't tab to the other non-default buttons is dumb IMO.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. I haven't had my coffee yet... :)

Take your hand off the mouse?? What are you doing with your other hand? No, wait, don't answer that. I don't want to know. ;)

Anyway, my right hand is usually on the mouse, and I can command-x, command-c, command-v, etc with my left. Although I work with a guy who does two-handed control-commands. Weird...

hazmat: here s my position on the whole keyboard thing. windows is the best for this sort of thing. with windows you can tab to any button, up any list do anything really. X is good, but not as good as windows (KDE is perhaps better than windows). OS9 is the worst at this, almost nothing is accessible from the keyboard. OSX is a little better, you can get the menu bar, and the dock, but it s not great.

the one button mouse limits how much you can do with the mouse as well, so in general, mac users as stuck switching.

i would imagine that anyone who has gotten used to having these features, has a hard time getting by without them. the thing is that for most of my computer life, OS9 (and below) was the only OS i knew, so i am very comfortable switching. and now OSX is a smörgåsbord of keyboard access for me, even though for most of you it s counterintuitive and breaks your flow.

one thing that is cool is how easy it is to make foreign characters and umlauts. it s so annoying to do in windows. but i digress.

nkuvu: i guess that we mac users have to be ready to use our left hands to do CTRL-C CTRL-X etc. and our right hands on the mouse (assuming we re right handed). i wonder if this means that masturbation is higher among windows users than mac users. :-D

hazmat: you know that esc will hit the cancel button when you re at a dialog, right? there is no way to get other nondefault buttons, but cancel you can get.

lethe: excellent post. Thanks. As much as I will complain about such things and would love to see more of it implemented, you see what OS I choose to use. :)

While I would definitely agree that Windows has many more keyboard shortcuts in its programs, there is one small problem: there's barely any consistency (other than copy, cut, paste, and select all). Sure, you can use the alt key to access the menus from the keyboard, but we can do it with control-F2 (by default). I think the usefulness goes down the drain if you can't remember what the keyboard combination is that you need to do something. On the plus side for Windows users, I've definitely seen many Mac consistencies come over to the dark side, so they may finally get it yet.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix
While I would definitely agree that Windows has many more keyboard shortcuts in its programs, there is one small problem: there's barely any consistency (other than copy, cut, paste, and select all). Sure, you can use the alt key to access the menus from the keyboard, but we can do it with control-F2 (by default). I think the usefulness goes down the drain if you can't remember what the keyboard combination is that you need to do something. On the plus side for Windows users, I've definitely seen many Mac consistencies come over to the dark side, so they may finally get it yet.

Funny you say that. I see it as exactly opposite. I see the general programming of Mac apps sloppy compared to Windows. The one example I can give is one that always annoyed me. Windows and Unix have standard built-in keys to jump to the beginning and end of lines. Mac OS has it, sort of. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's one keystroke/combo, sometimes another. Depends on the app. Thank god for cocoa, as it has the Unix key-combos built right in. ^A/^E, etc. But unfortunately there are loads of carbon apps out there which are in the pot luck category.

Originally posted by hazmat

Funny you say that. I see it as exactly opposite. I see the general programming of Mac apps sloppy compared to Windows. The one example I can give is one that always annoyed me. Windows and Unix have standard built-in keys to jump to the beginning and end of lines. Mac OS has it, sort of. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it's one keystroke/combo, sometimes another. Depends on the app. Thank god for cocoa, as it has the Unix key-combos built right in. ^A/^E, etc. But unfortunately there are loads of carbon apps out there which are in the pot luck category.

I'm not doubting you on this, but for what programs is it not command-leftarrow to go to the beginning of the line and command-leftarrow to go to the beginning of the next word? I use and have only a pretty limited set of programs for writing anything (right now TeXShop, iTeXMac, mi, Word 98, Mail, Script Editor, TextEdit, and Project Builder), but they all work as expected.

There is one that needs to be fixed for sure, though: command-~ for switching windows within a program. It doesn't work in most carbon programs, most notably the Finder. Granted, the supposed equivalent in Windows, control-tab, is in a similar state.

Originally posted by Red Phoenix

I'm not doubting you on this, but for what programs is it not command-leftarrow to go to the beginning of the line and command-leftarrow to go to the beginning of the next word? I use and have only a pretty limited set of programs for writing anything (right now TeXShop, iTeXMac, mi, Word 98, Mail, Script Editor, TextEdit, and Project Builder), but they all work as expected.

One that comes to mind is web browsers. That functionality will go back or ahead a page. In Windows, Home/End will pretty much always go to the beginning or end of a line. In Unix, ^A/^E.

I'm dreaming of an OS X with ALL Cocoa apps. :)

Another annoying example: BBEdit Lite. I can't find a keyboard command at all within BBEdit to move to the beginning/end of a line. Since I program, this is quite annoying...

Back