Really want to run these graphic programs/applications- Help Please

ElDiabloConCaca-
Thanks for tip on Gimp, as you can see, trying to go the Unix way here......did load Filmgimp, says on blurb "Film Gimp is a motion picture editing tool primarily used for painting and retouching of movie images", but can't see anyway to load a film or filmstrip.......maybe just one frame at a time? Maybe they use a script or something?

Trying to get this kpovmodeler together now, but at 71MB on telephone line, takes a few hours, got cut off last night but the F.Commander picked up on partial downloaded(17MB) file where it left off, pretty sophisticated......
On the info it mentions installing kdegraphics3 package, but not sure if this is happening now or whether this is to be downloaded separately......

spb-
Speaking above my head, is POV-Ray part of kpovmodeler? Is it the renderer? Compiling this POV-Ray manually sounds a bit frightening, but don't want to come all this way to be defeated now.......

This takes me to a little fantasy. Surely one of you Unix savvy people could invent a little program, a sort of command line inserter-enabler that would say, list commands in the vernacular, english, in one column and its Unix code (or Xterm, whatever program) in another column. These could than, with a click, be sent to the program's terminal. This way the user would quickly (delete the HD!) learn the code, there could be favorites, libraries, warnings etc. like itunes....

A good name like the Commando-Auto-Accelerator could be used, maybe it could be in this new widget form, an oval or slightly irregular shape, maybe a silhouette......

Glendalough said:
Is POV-Ray part of kpovmodeler? Is it the renderer? Compiling this POV-Ray manually sounds a bit frightening, but don't want to come all this way to be defeated now.......

POV-Ray is the engine that does the rendering (http://www.povray.org/). kpovmodeler is the workspace that you use to make your model. According to the kpovmodeler website you need povray installed.

I don't know if it is difficult to (or if it is necessary to) compile POV-Ray to get it to work on the Mac. I need to do this myself at some point, so I'll let you know what I find. There is a discussion of this topic on the povray newsgroup at (http://news.povray.org/povray.unix/thread/<web.41a2452e3a58523fecfae2860@news.povray.org>/)

sb

Got the kpovmodeler to work fine first go, but no rendering because no POV-Ray (no model to render either because I don't know how it works exactly- wonder if you build a model can it be imported into other 3D packages?)

Wonder about the POV-Ray now, does one go for the OSX version or some unix version to run on X11?

It says in kpovmodeler instructions that you can't run POV-Ray on MacOS throught the terminal........wouldn't know how to do this myself.....

Glendalough said:
Wonder about the POV-Ray now, does one go for the OSX version or some unix version to run on X11?

It says in kpovmodeler instructions that you can't run POV-Ray on MacOS throught the terminal........wouldn't know how to do this myself.....

The OSX POVRay version uses it's own input screen.

The Unix version is command line based, thus a software package can write the pov file and run it.

You can toy with the OSX version and then uninstall it for the Unix version if (when) needed.

sb

Got the OSX Pov-Ray version going somewhat, but it has trouble finding some of its file parts and can only render some simple objects and none of the full sample scenes.......

But guess its not going to integrate properly with the Kpovmodeler, Maybe better to run it in the Unix command line way as (you, spb) said....not much of an interface anyway.....
So does one use the Linux version and compile it? Is this going to run in the Mac X11 environment or is Linux needed?
Thanks folks for all the answers so far!

Install it via fink. That's the easiest way as it sorts out all the dependencies for you.

Hey wait -I don't get this.........POV-Ray is not on the list of the packages Fink supplies, though the Kpovmodeler is(?).......Are you saying I can install this via Fink anyway? -i.e. Fink will work for other Unix programs aside from their listed packages......(strange punctuation here)

Hmm... povray and kpovmodeler is there in my fink distribution. Make sure you edit /sw/etc/fink.conf and make sure the file has the following line:

Trees: unstable/main /unstable/crypto local/main stable/main stable/crypto

Then run fink selfupdate and you should be able to get all the packages including povray.

Yes, this did appear to be the problem, the line in my fink.conf did not have the unstable bits.

I attempted to put your line in but had to change permissions to save, wonder is this all right, anyway got the thing finally save but then the whole Commander freaked out and says: "WARNING: Unable to parse the line...." for about 20 different lines, things and it tells me 0 Displayed, 0 Installed

P.S. The Mystery is Solved (why i wasn't getting the povray part of the package) which is good but now the Commander is Freaked Out, won't work, because the fink.conf file can't be read.......any ideas Please?

Thought I would just finish this thread and not leave it in a state with everything broken.

Reinstalled the Fink program. Found by default that it doesn't register "unstable" programs. One has to check a box in the preferences to get full 3500 programs listed. Helps to read the instructions.

The Kpovmodeler and Povray both work fine and seem to be perfectly integrated. That is you can render straight from kpovmodeler, it calls up the Povray rendering window automatically. The Kpovmodeler seems a bit different from other 3D programs in that you make models from primitives and there doesn't seem to be any control of polygon points, but if the website is true it seems (some) people can do just about anything with it.

Some of the Fink programs seem quite bizarre. They can take a long time to download. One called Xplanet just seems to be a fixed desktop picture of the earth with the light circling it 24 hours. This took over an hour to download and I thought I was getting into astronomy. Another took over 4 hours and nothing really materialized.

The best program was one called Basilisk II. This is a mac emulator for OS6 to OS8. This Unix version seems very much superior to the OSX version. A very weird thing about it was it copied all my settings from the OSX version I had kept on the desktop and started up immediately. It needed the rom and OS7 in this folder on the desktop to function. Can't see how it worked this out.

I only mention this as these Unix programs seem to have so much trouble with file paths.

Many Thanks Again for all the Help Received Here!

Hmm... sorry for not replying when you have problems. I somehow managed missed this thread altogether.

Glad you got it sorted out though.

Back