RealNetworks to announce music distribution program

...for 79 cents a song!!!

Searching for the WSJ article, quoted from LoopRumors.com...

RealNetworks is shifting its strategy for online-music distribution and rolling out a service that lets subscribers buy and download songs for 79 cents a track, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Update:

Found more on it from the Seattle Post Intelligencer...

Apperently you need to pay a montly fee of $10, plus $.79 for each song. Only 200,000 of the 330,000 songs are burnable due to liscencing... I guess I can breath again... Full text can be found here: SPI - RealNetworks tunes into online music sales

If you look on the good side, this will put more pressure on apple to release iTunes for the PC...

Although not directly, the hope will be that after sampling iTunes and any other apps that come out, more users will be lurred over to switch.

Also remember, we are still the only ones with no monthly charge.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

completely opposite from Apple in that it's subscription based, confusing and a pain in the ass. real networks also have no foundation like apple does in terms of offering a popular media player (real player is popular but it's not a leading windows mp3 player) as well as the leading mp3 player...

plus they just dont have the f*cking savvy to pull it off.

plus itunes for windows will blow it outta the f*cking water...

I've always hated RealPlayer and RealNetworks. The player sucks and can't do much, and it always installed all this exra crap I never needed...or was that Netscape.........no, it was RealPlayer.

wow. 2 f-bombs in 2 sentences. i know i always have a hard time holding back my fingers need to let out a few cuss words.

boo-ya!

I'm not overly worried about Real's offering. It's not as refined as Apple's. Plus, they don't have the brand recognition of Apple's solution. Additionally, I don't see the music industry in the long run supporting it as well since the protection isn't as secure (I think, right?).

What really concerns me is that there is plenty of time for M$ to dump a buttload of money into a solution and beat Apple to iTunes on the PC.

I'll bet anything, M$ has staff working 24/7 right now to develop such a system and, like Windows, if it gets there before PC-iTunes, it may just be good enough for the majority of users.

Here's what's going to happen:

Option1:
A bunch of mediocre offerings from Real and others will flood the PC market. None will make a big splash because there's just too many. Apple will dominate once PC-iTuens is realeased.

Option2:
As above, but M$ provides some kind of MSN-related download service, which they will shove down their user's throats until it becomes a success. This will relegate PC-iTunes to PC-QuickTime status if we're lucky.

its interesting you say that mindbend because I can see what your saying on that...and knowing Microsoft, something like that could just possibly happen. As for RealNetworks, I also agree with you on that. They're going into it without anything to back them up and are offering misleading offers...:p

Back