Realplayer probs

fongster

Registered
I made the mistake of upgrading to RP 8. In doing so, Word for Mac now quits on opening of the application. I fixed that by finding an extension conflict. I dumped the updated RP folder, extensions, and prefs and want to install the best version that will not conflict with my key applications: Quark 4.11, Photoshop 6, Illustrator9 and Word for Mac (W for M is the only one that had probs after the update--no probs at all before I did it). I tried RP 7 but it locks up on install. I can't remember what RP 6/G2 did but something was wrong so I trashed it. RP5 and earlier are just weird and foreign acting. I have OS 9.2.2 on a 733 G4 with 640mb ram. Thanks!

P.S. What I learned--if it works, don't mess with it no matter what update is offered--newer ain't necessarily better.

EDIT: I noticed my question was buried:
I want to install the best version that will not conflict with my key applications: Quark 4.11, Photoshop 6, Illustrator9 and Word for Mac. Which RP version is it?

You could add another idea:

Back-up your configuration from time to time, and in any case before you upgrade.

I have another comment that won't help you in your situation but may help in the future...As for updates, as a general rule I would wait till 9 comes out before you install 8. Gives all the other people time to struggle with the extension issues, etc. Now you are the guinea pig...

As for helping, Real Player installs files in lots of different places--in your browser folder as well as your system folder. I would delete anything having to do with Real Player and just download 7 again.

Definitely copy all your files and system settings so you can just "go back" if you take a step forward and it's not a good one.

Cheers

If you are running on Mac OS X, then the free, native RealOne Player for Mac OS X is a far better bet than earlier versions.

RealPlayer 8 is mostly just a whole lot of bug fixes on top of the versions before it, so for Mac OS 8 and 9 that's definitely the one to use. You need to manually remove traces of previous RealPlayers before installing RealPlayer 8. To do that, delete the Real folders from the Application Support and Extensions folders inside of the System folder, delete the Real___ files from the Preferences folder, and also drag the RealPlayer application folder to the trash. Then run the RealPlayer 8 installer, and everything should work pretty well.

Back