3) Barry Bonds will break his own home run record
4) Bush will actually swallow a pretzel without choking
5) new imacs will be in 2nd or 3rd revision
6) aol will introduce mac version 6.0
7) Bin Laden will be captured or killed
8) a majority of popular games will be ported to osx
9) Christmas
10) hell will experience mild frost

I heard they were making one and were going to never update realplayer but put out RealONE sometime in the future. Real one is in beta on the PC it is the RealJukebox mixed with RealPlayer and is replacing both of them.

Real is not going to port Real Player 8 over to OSX. What are doing instead is working on a new version called RealOne which will be available for OSX sometime in the summer. At least that's what I've heard.

Thanks guys. I've used realone on the PC. It's much nicer to look at but as far as functionality goes, it's about the same.

I wasn't careful enough when I installed it so now it's wants to handle every type of multimedia format out there.

Anyway, RealOne on OSX will help me. I suppose I can use classic until then.

seriously vanguard, it took real foeverrrrr to put out a mac version of the player to start with. and you might notice they give the mac platform all the attention that aol does (note mac vs pc updates). they are yet another thorn in our sides since so many pc platform folks think they just have to use rms for people to be able to see or hear their stuff. it's not that there aren't alternatives, it's that pc users refuse to care whether we seee it or not. (or don't realize is more like it)
i too wish they would port something soon. preferably before baseball season starts.

I'm far from an expert in media formats. But when I think of small size/low quality I think rm.

Nobody else seems to make really tiny files (albeit low quality). Maybe that's why my school choose it? (I like to watch the lectures on my machine.)

Would the experts care to correct me?

AdmiralAK is also a freeware lover.
I don't like realplayer even under Windows. Realplayer costs a lot of memory and is slow. RealOne also can crash the system.

But now, only real soft can play its media type.

First out, I agree RealPlayer/One isn't the best solution out there but often enough it's the only option :-(.
I connected Real about the OS X version and they told me they were planning to release an OS X version "real" soon. Let's see what that means...

I wrote Real's customer support asking them when the OSX version will be coming out. This is what they said:
I'm sorry, but we currently do not have a media program that is compatible with the Mac OS X. We should be coming out with a player that would be compatible with this operating system in early summer.

Thank You,

Linh Wilson
Customer Service
RealNetworks

I thought you guys would be interested.

yes, i would imagine that summer seems "real soon" by relative Real standards. compared to how long it took them to release the original mac version, the osx product must seem like it is flying along:p

too bad they are not in the southern hemisphere.

yes, and as soon as the BSD port will work a lil bit, Real will give out a beta of Real ONE for Mac OS X. It will suck (of course, no software Real has ever made did not), but it'll be as good as the port or better.

Gosh, it'll be almost one and a half year since Mac OS X launch in March 2001 when we're able to play .rm files on OS X! :/

Back