reassembling the prefs on my Imac

rickd1010

Registered
I have just done a target download from my QuickSilver to the Imac of the user folder that i saved before I put in the new HD. Now I need to know how to reinstall the preferences so that the apps that are installed on the new HD will look the same. This includes all my bookmarks for both Firefox and Safari, and my address book for Thunderbird. I copied and transfered everything from one HD to the other and then back. i need to know what and how to pick out of the Users folder and where to put it. Also if i need to delete the existing pref that is in the new folder now.

Thnx for your time ,
Rick

Its a lot easier if you don't do this sort of thing all the time to use Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant. It does a great job of putting everything back together so basically everything looks the same. I will always use migration assistant (even though I consider myself pretty good at manually rebuilding systems having much practice) 1st and if that fails I will rebuild the user manually.

I second Migration Assistant. It can take several hours depending on the amount of data being moved, but it is plug-and-play easy. I just migrated my sister from her G4 iBook to her new MacBook Pro (PPC to Intel, Panther to Leopard) with not one hiccup.

Back