Received iLife

adambyte

Registered
Yay. iLife '05 came today. I installed it as soon as possible so I could reap the benefits. :D

iPhoto- I so dig the view by calendar thing.
iMovie- Never use it. Got Final Cut. iMovie is too simple, and I can't figure it out... still.
iDVD- Great new themes. Except for the Anime Pop one. It's obnoxious. But the rest of them are great. I can't wait to burn my videos.
GarageBand- A-freakin'-mazing. The thing that turns your keyboard into a piano is great, and with the music notation editing, you can refine it. It's freakin' great. Only thing is, to edit to the 16th notes, you have to zoom in really far.

Oh, and an improvement that is in most of the apps... when no song, movie, etc, is open, there's a single window that shows up with three options "Create New Project," "Open an Existing Project," and "Quit." A nice interface touch in the iLife apps.

Randman... assuming you do a full install, with all the iDVD themes, and including GarageBand's sample songs, I think it was a few gigs.... 3, maybe?

iTunes app: 30 MB
GarageBand: 62 MB
iPhoto app: 158 MB
iDVD app: 2.2 GB
iMovie app: 63.3

Yup. You can put folders in other folders. And for those folders to contain any photos, you have to put an "album" at some level. And uh... I don't know how many levels, but I stopped at nine levels.... but that's just me being lazy with your question.

I think nine is enough, don't you?

i ordered a new computer last week (after o1/11). received it today, but no iLife05. so i have now ordered the update. had really looked foreward to installing it. well well. guess i have to wait another week.

edit.

Is iPhoto faster than the previous version? I.e. scrolling through hundreds of photos? Also, Adam, how fast a G4 are you running it on? Thanks for any info.

The big question (big in terms of time spent waiting for iDVD to do its thing) is:

Does iDVD 5 make any use of CoreVideo-level GPUs to speed up the encoding of menus and such? With just a handful of chapter menus, iDVD 4 on a dual 1.25GHz G4 can take 20 or 30 minutes just doing that one step. It seems to me (and maybe I'm wrong but it SEEMS to me) that that's exactly the kind of thing that CoreVideo was made to do.

So I guess I need to hear from someone who uses iLife 05 on a Tiger pre-release with a Radeon 9800 or so.

iPhoto.... I can't tell. If it is faster, it's negligable.... I have a thousand something photos, and scrolling is pretty smooth at most speeds on my PowerBook G4 1.25 GHz.

Uh... Freiheit, as I understand it, CoreVideo technologies are strictly for the display of live game-type graphics.... not the video rendering of video. (In which case, I'd love it, 'cause it would make more things in Final Cut live without rendering)

Haven't played with it much yet. But I still find one major problem with its design. The developers of iLife still don't seem to understand the concept of allowing multiple users to share a photo library or music library. On my Power Mac, I have converted all my cd's. They are located under my home directory. I wasn't asked if I wanted to place them in a location that could be accessible by other users on this system. My wife handles all the digital photos. It stores them on her home directory. Once again, no shared location was offered. In order for me to create movies in iMovie and use the photos my wife has taken, I have to import those photos into my iPhoto Library. Now I have two copies of the photo. This is rediculous.

Come on Apple. Think about it. You've got a multi-user OS. Give your apps the ability to share data among multiple users.

Has anybody had trouble installing the DVD on a superdrive? I have Dual 2.0 powermac g5 with a superdrive and was unable to install the dvd on my system; kept popping it out saying that it couldnt read it. But on my girlfriends ibook with a combo drive it worked fine. I ended up creating a dmg file and copying it over to my machine to get it to work.

So how is the Score Printing feature in GarageBand? I'm helping my piano teacher set up a MIDI system, and he got given a G4 Cube for free (yay! at least he didn't buy a PC). It comes with Garageband, but I've never used it before.
I think I'll have to do some hardware upgrading to make it run smoothly, especially if I want to get Garageband 2 for him, but anyway, what's it like?

smolz- I have a superdrive in my PowerBook. Installed fine. *shrugs*

dlloyd- It's... more intuitive than most notation software to be perfectly honest. Although, I still haven't figured out how to write music, straight out, just using a mouse to make the notes. However, once you have the notes down, and want to modify them by either pitch or rhythm, just drag the note where you want it to go. Up or down... but to modify the rhythm, make sure you zoom in all the way... then put the note on whatever 16th or whatever you want. Though, sometimes I accidentally make triplets... lol.... God knows, I probably won't be able to create triplets when I actually want them.

Haven't used it extensively, but that's what I've discovered so far.

Hmmm, I should go to the Applestore and play with it. If the notation part actually works, it'll be a hell of a lot better than these dinosaur programs like Encore and Sibelius and Igor Engraver, etc. which all cost ~ $300. And that's just for notation and MIDI.
Of course, they probably (almost certainly) offer far more control over the output, but still...

Yeah. Go up to one of the Macs in the Apple Store that has a keyboard, record something, and then play with it.

Back