Receiving a error code -108 ?

TheCeltictiger

Registered
First of all Hope I am posting this in the right forum...appologies if not..

This is a cry for help......I have a G4 desktop machine operating on 10.3 OS X panther software. I have a built in superdrive (Pioneer -106). When I try and burn a dvd using Toast 6 Titanium I recieve an error type -108 (low memory). I have over 1gb of built in memory so I suspect that this is not the issue. To date my attempts to find the problem have failed. I have booted with a norton utility disk and ran the diagnostics (disk doctor, speeddisk, antivirus) which did find some partition (catalogue b tree) issue which it seems to have repaired.....oro should I say I hope. This did not solve the -108 error problem. I then reinstalled panther...again no joy. I ran disk utility and still no luck...I am begining to think that my superdrive is doomed for the bin...or perhaps its the catlogue b tree issue with my harddrive

So as you can see i am at the end of my wits....so any assitance, suggestions of a fix would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
TheCeltictiger

Sorry if I ask too stupid questions, but did you ever consider that the data you wanted to copy to the dvd was too big? My guess would be, that 'low memory' is related to the DVD-R and not the system memory.
Some ppl guess they should be able to burn 4.7 GB to the disc. But when you consider 1gb to be actually 1024mb, it will be clear why you can actually use 4.3gb of your media. And does CD burning work?

Thanks for the reply Zammy-Sam....to answer your question if I can burn CDs the answer is yes and upoto a few days ago I had no problem burning DVDs and I am certain that the data I was copying was not to big for the DVD-R.....any other suggestions would be appreciated....thanks in advance

The Celtictiger

What about hard drive space? If you're low on space, then you will get an error, as toast uses the hard drive as a scratch disk before burning.

I have not change the media brand and just in case I got a bad batch I have tried multiple media brands and still no fix.

I have two drives on my system...the drive that I had as my startup disk had about 10gb of space left so I switched my startup disk to the alternative drive that has over 60gb of free space....moved toast over ...dumped toast prefs....relaunched the app...alas still no fix

What makes it all the more confusing is that I am still able to burn CDs!!

Any other assistance or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Did you ever try burning DVDs over the finder and not toast? Just to see if this is a general problem or just toast related..

Back