Receiving Email From Yahoo to Mac Mail Application

Nina P

Registered
I set up my mail application (the one the Ibook G4 comes with) to send and receive my email from my yahoo account. I had a hard time getting it going, first I could receive and not send, then I could send and not receive. Now I can do neither. It only worked for less than a day before it stopped sending and receiving all together.

Now when I send I get the following message:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "POP Account" or try again.

The server error encountered was: The server "pop.mail.yahoo.com" refused to allow a connection on port 587.

I feel that problem may be with the authentication what should my setting be for this? for bot outgoing and incoming? also any other tips? are others successful at this?

Thanks,
Nina

I am not sure if Yahoo lets you access you Yahoo email from an external program like Apple Mail. I believe that used to be a feature, and now may be a paid feature. I am not sure, you may want to check this.

trusurfer03 said:
im editing this, i take back what i said, Here, this should walk you through everything. http://help.yahoo.com/us/tutorials/mail/mail/ext_access1.html

That link is pretty much useless for what he's wanting to do...it shows how to check POP e-mail accounts with your Yahoo! account's web based system, not setup your POP program (Mail) to download your Yahoo! e-mail.

In order to do that you have to be a paying customer of Yahoo!...the free accounts don't get the POP mail functionality, just web-based e-mail with advertisements in it.

Back