Recharging problem

rationull

Registered
My 12 inch powerbook (1.5 GHz G4) is having some recharging troubles. It was in sleep mode for a couple days (although it's done that before and had no problems) and now it's doing the following things:

- When plugging in the power adapter, it immediately registers that it's under AC power, but the battery doesn't start charging until a while later.
- When plugging it in while it's sleeping, the green lights start blinking on the battery indicating that it's charging, but then when I wake it up, it indicate's it's under AC power but it stops charging. It may or may not start charging several moments later.

It always used to start charging immediatly when it was plugged in.

I've already reset the PMU, and that doesn't make any difference. The battery shouldn't be a problem -- just over a year old and it's at 81 cycles.

Does this sound familiar at all?

I ran the hardware test CD and everything came out fine .. not sure if that means anything in this context. Seeing as the PMU is just a chip, it doesn't seem like it would have this type of failure.. seems like it would either work or not. Was the PMU suggestion just a guess or have you seen that happen before?

I'm wondering if it's a problem with the AC adapter (I'm using an old one from a TiBook.. will test with another but I probably can't get ahold of one until Monday) or maybe the charging circuit.

It was no guesss. I have seen this not only with your laptop be also with a G3 PowerBook. As for the hearware test it does not look at your power part of it's test. That's an other test all together. No, you can get that test disk. I can't even get it.

So by the PMU you actually mean the chip on the logic board? As in, to fix this problem the logic board must be replaced?

So it's on the DC in board? Ack.. I hope it's just the battery. That thing looks like kind of a pain to replace in the 12 inch powerbook.

Back