Recording vinyl and general audio editing

hazmat

Rusher of Din
A year ago the only two apps around for recording vinyl and splitting into tracks and minor editing were Sound Studio and Amadeus. Although Amadeus seems to have more functionality it seems, I prefer Sound Studio's interface. Anyway, I'm finally getting back into importing vinyl. What OS X apps are there now for doing this? I have played with Final Vinyl but didn't like it very much, same with Roxio's CD Spin Doctor. Any other recommended apps for this?

Thanks.

I've got an acoustic instrument (Turkish Oud) plugged through my bass amp with a dynamic mic, and an electric bass guitar. Combined with a Griffin iMic, this makes for a mediocre recording solution (exception: my stupid iMic doesn't isolate the USB bus power from the audio interface so it buzzes!) anyway...

I use Amadeus II for recording. It's got enough functions to put down a single track, and chop it up a bit, clean the noise, add some basic effects like echo, etc.

It's by no means a studio quality app, but it gets my vote.

I had thought that garage band would do the importing, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried to run a minidisc player into my sound in port (intel imac), and it didn't hear a thing. I wasn't sure if it was a sofware issue or using the sound in port instead of a us line in adapter of somesort.

Greg in Ohio

The cheapest way I can think of would be to hook the record player up to some decent speakers, and set up a nice microphone to your Mac. Use Garageband to import using it's recording features -which can be modified or channeled or warped any which way-. Maybe I'm thinking of one of their Pro apps, but I believe Garageband is able to reduce vinyl noise.

I found an app called Audacity that says it will do it. I haven't tried yet. I'll let you know what I find out whenever I get around to it. (I'm still sifting through tons of old cds...)

Greg

I use Final Vinyl (v1 -- I hate v2) with a Griffin iMic to capture
the sounds from turntable or tape deck. I pretty much needed
the iMic because my old turntable doesn't have "line level"
output, and iMic has a switchable pre-amp.

After capturing the sound (with or without FV's equalizer enabled), I
run it through ClickRepair to rid the music of snap-crackle-pop. Then
I fire up Amadeus II to clean up the noise and break the sound file
into tracks for loading into iTunes.

I prefer Amadeus (shareware) to Audacity (free) for a variety of
reasons, not least because of it's read/write format flexibility. I
have used it instead of FV when FV acted up, but I guess I just
got in the habit.

Putting a pair of speakers in fron of your Mac's mike is not the
dumbest idea I've ever heard. The nuclear hand grenade is.

i've used final vinyl and garageband to do it. i use the imic as the input because my mac doesn't have an audio in port on it, just 2 outs, one for headphones, and one for apple's old speakers. fv was always plug and play, but gb required time to set it up right. i also used sound studio once and liked it, but never got around to shell the cash out for it.

michaelsanford said:
(exception: my stupid iMic doesn't isolate the USB bus power from the audio interface so it buzzes!)

Here is how to go around that: connect your computer with a two wires supply (you can simply brake the third wire connection, but do it on a extension cable to keep your original supply cable), and disconnect any Ethernet cable. So you should have no ground line other than the one coming from your Vinyl player.

I have done sound effects for a couple of shows, including a bit of recording, using Audacity, and it's quite handy.

Unfortunately, for me in any case, it doesn't work very well at all on my Intel iMac. Works great on any PPC Mac I've used it on (G3 iMac and PowerMac, G4 PowerBook), but it's not very stable under Rosetta.

Which is a shame, because the interface is so nice and simple, and quite efficient for a lot of what I do. Plus, of course, I'm used to it...

Back