Recover files from trash can to original folder

kebosma

Registered
Hello,

Can anybody tell me how I recover the files that I put in the trashcan to the original folder from where I moved the files trash in the first place?

I threw away some files from my HD into trash, assuming that you can put them back with one click from the mouse, but I can't find the option to recover trashed files to their original folder... :p

Oh yeah, I'm running OSX 10.4.10, if this matters....

Just open the Trash and drag them out and put where you want them.
No command that I know of to do what you ask.

but I don't know exactly where the files come from, isn't there a feature that you can have trash can place them back automatically to the folder where the files came from?

If you put a file in the trash and don't do anything else, you could go to the Edit Menu to the Undo command, but that will only work if you haven't touched the machine since moving the file.

List the files in the trash, maybe someone here can tell you where they came from.

For now I would make a new folder on your Desktop and put all those files in that folder so they don't get trashed.

The files were from skype.

If you make a typing error during log in and you mistype for example your skype name, skype stores this wrongly typed skype name.

I mistype a couple of times, and my girlfriend too, so now I had 5 or 6 mistyped names stored by skype, which you see when you want to select your skype name. I found a couple of folders in application support in my account on my HD, which had the same names as the mistyped skype names.

So I removed them, put them into trash, with the assumption that when something goes wrong, I can restore the files.

Now, I see that the mistyped names in the log in window of skype are gone, but when I log in now, the names are not stored at all anymore, with the result that now I always have to type my skypename to log in...

So I thought: let's see what those folders do that I removed, but I didn't exactly knew where to put them back, so that's the reason for my question...

But I can live with the fact that now I always have to type my skypename...

As you read back this post, it seems that I have nothing to do.... :D hahaha

But for the future, I' interested to know of the trash can has some kind of intelligence which I can make use of... :)

For the intelligence part, Apple assumes we Mac users are more intelligent than a PC user :)

Don't put files in the trash unless you're sure you want to trash them. OS X is built on Unix, and it's an unforgiving system for trashed files once you empty the trash.

As for your problem, it's simple to correct.

Do a Find on your machine for Skype, unless there's an uninstaller in the Skype folder. Trash all the Skype files and download Skype again and install and setup.

Look in Keychain Access in your Utility folder and remove anything for Skype first.

Back