recoverable?

tinroots

Registered
hmmph!
my ti powerbook G4 667mhz (first batch) just lost 3/4s of its screen. It's so sad. I know that the monitors often go, but it's not straight black. The top quarter is fine and works great, but the rest of it does not show anything that is going on, what I might describe as not refreshed, but it has whatever colors are behind it in a melted variety. (I know, sounds weird but imagine the colors of your desktop image and pour hot water or wax over it, and that's what it looks like)
--ok, these descriptions below are difficult, work w me, please--
And then I discovered that if I move it or push it in jjjjjust the right spot, which takes me a bazillion tries to find - the whole screen works! If I don't keep that magic spot - whatevered - then the messed up area literally does not refresh, it holds the image it had, but does not refresh. Or it has a ?running? or scrolling white line across the screen, left to right, that starts at the top and runs all the way down, and starts over again.
Ok, so here's my question: is it done and over? Do I have to replace the whole screen, or is it possibly fixable? Might it be something about the connection from the screen is messed up, and simply takes re-something-ing or replacing? If I don't really have money - but having my computer is worth fixing to me, I just can't pay several hundred dollars. (i do have an ibook, but I've always 'needed' both)
Any ideas about repair/replacement prices?
I've heard before that these screens are no longer purchasable (people had previously asked to buy mine for their ti)

You might try changing the angle your screen is open and see if that has any affect on the image on the screen. I would try like 45 deg, 90 deg, and 120 deg angles.

If it does, it may be the video cable being pinched or pulled as it runs to the screen.

actually, i'd guess that might be it, because if you happen to find the right angle it's all good. I called a few places, and they say the old ti's you can't just fix the cable - that it's all within the screen and therefore you have to buy a whole new screen. ppppoooo.
my whole casing is a bit .... bummped up, i don't know if i'd go so far as saying sketchy, but a puritan surely would. i get sad everytime i see how messed up it is.
But i don't know how to check if the hinges are loose or whatever, they seem fine to me, and i've never had trouble with them in particular that i know of.
thanks again!

Back