Recovered files in trash

tapjpa

Registered
Ok everytime I reboot after installing Tiger I have a couple files that show up in the trash as "recovered files". I have run repair permisions and repair disk with no problems found?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Well after emptying the trash of these files several times they have finally gone away.
I did see a few other people reporting the same problem up on the Apple Discussion board as well.

Well at least it's gone for now.

Jim, I noticed some recovered files in my Trash after logging out and back in. I just installed Tiger yesterday as an upgrade over Panther on my G4 iMac. It's working great. The recovered file folder contained a JPEG and a Zipped file. Upon inspection, these were two attachments that I had received and opened in the Mail app.

Take a look in Mail>Preferences. There is a section under General that says "remove unedited downloads" and it allows for a time to be set. I've never seen this before so I guess it's new in Tiger Mail. Mail Help says that Mail will place attachments that have been opened and viewed into a folder called Mail Downloads in Home/Library. I am still trying to figure out how to best set these Preferences. Anyway, I think the recovered files I have found in Trash are Mail attachments that have been removed.

What do you think?

Steve M.

I still get a few files in the trash, so far none have been mail attachments. The 2 files I see most often are widgets from Konfabulator. I have deleted the 2 widgets and replaced them with fresh downloads with no change. It's not really a problem to me I'm just finding it to be an annoyance.

Jim

Jim,

Just out of curiosity, what kind of install of Tiger did you do?

It's weird, I haven't seen recovered files in the Trash since OS 8/9. Restarting after an app froze or crashed would sometimes produce these. They would almost always be unrecognizable.

Steve M.

Steve,

It's a clean install, never been a fan of upgrades. I did install the "additional app's" from the Panther disk beening mainly the iLife app's. I also restored all my mail and such from a backup I took right before installing Tiger.

Thanks for the help,

Jim

Steve,

On the Apple discussions board there has been some discussion, so far alot of theory of whats causing it but thats about it.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I've posted on a couple of the threads on Apple discussions and I'll see if anything more definitive shows up.

Regards,
Steve M.

For what its worth, I have had Recovered files in my Trash since installing Tiger on my iBook. I did a clean install.

The "recovered" files are random, depending on what I have been doing before I reboot. They always show up after a reboot.

I just installed the iTunes 4.8 update, rebooted a bit later, and now I have the following:

com.Apple.SoftwareUpdate.HVnAAl
> SoftwareUpdateCheck.pid

(the top item is a folder containing the bottom "pid" file.)

It's annoying, but more than anything I'd just like to understand why this is happening.

interesting...

I was initially under the impression this had something to do with Word crashing.

I have two folders, one "Recovered Files," one "Recovered Files #1" in my trash.

What's interesting is that I have the PDFBroswerPlugin installed in Camino and it put .pdf I'd opened earlier in a file with the name of the plugin within one of the recovered files folders.

Back