Recovered files won't open

Dave Jankowski

Registered
I recently deleted all my files on an external Lacie 250 gig drive that had 3 partitions. I was going to create a Time Machine drive using MAC Leopard system software. Using disk utility to reformat the drive down to one partition. I was suppose to choose my second internal drive but chose my external drive by mistake.

No files were written to the external drive because I realized what I did a minute after I had repartitioned it from 3 to 1.

I bought Data Rescue II to perform the scan of the drive, recovered the files that I had erased and these were written to another drive. I'm able to open all files (InDesign CS, Photoshop CS Illustrator CS and PDFs) that existed on one partition but the files that existed on another partition will not open. InDesign files that won't open indicate that there's a missing plug-in or it's opened by another application. Photoshop files indicate that it's the wrong file type and so on for the other files.

I did a thorough scan of the device using DR II and the tech people at Prosoft assured me that all modules contained in their application should have been attached to all recovered files. This may have been done for the files on a partition where my ad files and folders existed but all my literature files won't open.

Icons for all files appear normal and file sizes are correct.

Do you have any other solutions for me to try?

My system is a MAC Pro, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz running system 10.5.2 software. Firmware has been updated.

Back