Recovering Data from Messed Up Firewire Hard Drive

El Presidente

Registered
I have a 160GB firewire hard drive. The power went out a couple of weeks ago, and coincidentally my firewire hard drive stopped working! I mean the 2 partitions mount ont the desktop, but it brings my system to a total halt when I try to browse the drive. I have tried fixing this with disk utility, techtool and diskwarrior, but I am pretty sure it is physically damaged. I got an error in diskwarrior saying that it was slowed due to a hard drive malfunction. In disk utility I got some other error that was a hard drive error.

Well I have managed to recover a tiny bit of the data. I had all my mp3s on there, and I'd really like to get them back. Basically I copied a few folders but it was really slow. I tried copying the whole music folder but it brought my system to a crawl and i quit. Basically it totally stalls the finder with the beachball when I try to do anything.

Is there any other way that I might be able to get the data back? Is there a special way to mount the drive so that it won't be sooooo slow even though it's damaged? Is there a read only mode that might make it faster??? I already bought another drive and I'm going to buy a UPS Power Supply so that this doesn't happen again!

Any ideas would be appreciated...

I just read someone posted a similar problem recently in this category. I'm going to try Data Rescue II before throwing my drive in the freezer lol
I'll post my results.

Data Rescue II saved my files!
It is great software... I had tried copying the files using the finder, but it hadn't worked probably because it wasn't reading the drive properly. But Data Rescue II Scanned the volume in probably 30 minutes, and I left it to copy the files overnight and it probably copied my 55GB of files in about 5 or 6 hours. It wasn't fast but I don't care, I just wanted to get the stuff back.

I'm very impressed by this software and I recommend it to others who have to recover data from a bad drive when the finder won't copy the files.

Now does anyone know if I can replace the hard drive in my Lacie Porsche hard drive enclosure? If so, do I have to replace it with the same sized drive (160GB)? Data Rescue told me that it was a Maxtor hard drive, but are there other type of drives I can use in it?

I have 2 x 250Gb Maxtor Drives in my Dual 2.5Ghz G5. For one reason or another the HD in Bay B has slowed right down to a crawl. Luckily for me it is not my primary drive. I have replaced the SATA cable (genuine Apple) to that drive but nothing has improved. The symptoms are similar to what El Presidente has described above. Is there a chance it might be a software (eg. finder) problem or is the drive physicallly damaged?

Now does anyone know if I can replace the hard drive in my Lacie Porsche hard drive enclosure? If so, do I have to replace it with the same sized drive (160GB)? Data Rescue told me that it was a Maxtor hard drive, but are there other type of drives I can use in it?[/QUOTE]

Hi Theree,

I have the same Lacie Porsche HDD but USB one, and recently my HDD zonked-off and would do some kicking sound and was dead... I got another 2 and half inch, (PB internal size HDD) and opened the Lacie cover (It is bit tricky) but you can get around it as it has no screws you have to stick some Phillips screw driver into the small little gap to open the bottom outer cover (Be very careful in popping out the internal board, connector as the internal IDE connector is connected and there are some four latches which holds the HDD around the outer cover) and flip out and pull the connector and replaced the HDD and it is working fine but it is 80GB in 2-1/2" and these steps are for the USB drive and some Lacie F/W HDD's open vertically.... but you can open it... in my place the 2-1/2 comes until 100GB..... Hope this helps a bit.

Good Luck...

Back