Recovering File Vault disk image?

WeeZer51402

Registered
I tried to log into my powerbook(10.4.10) this morning and i was given an error message "You are unable to login to the user account at this time". I logged in as root and was presented with a completely empty home directory but upon further investigation with the terminal i found the disk image in a hidden folder in /Users. I tried mounting it with disk utility but recieved the error message: "Unable to attach "mvh.sparseimage" - no mountable file systems" the disk image definitely contains some data because its over 24Gb. Is their anyway to recover this file?

I can't help you directly, but I was able to find some long-winded gobble-de-gook that might be of some help..?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050326041757989

I have been using Mac OS X now for almost a year now. As for FileVault, I did use it at the very beginning, but I had some issues with it (can't remember now?) and gave it the elbow.

Incidentally, I was having a look at security on the Mac a little while ago, and there are a number of other ways in which to secure a Mac, but at the moment I'm not brave enough to go delving in places where I might come unstuck:

1. Admin Password (I guess that's all of us)
2. Screen Saver Lockout (against prying eyes)
3. A Non-Admin Account (It looks useful -- for later maybe?)
4. Firmware Password (This thing scares the hell out of me)
5. FileVault (I've forgotten how to use this -- thank God!)
6. An encrypted (utility) disk image (I use this for small files)

Back