Recovering HFS+ Partition from (Semi-) Dead HD

johnsalomon

Registered
Hi there,

My hard drive (60GB) recently crashed on my ca. 3-year-old 12" G4 (Leopard). I run S.M.A.R.T. reporter, and it marked the drive as healthy until I rebooted my machine last and got the flashing question mark. 2 days before my monthly backup and after a fairly intense amount of copying work-related files. Murphy lives.

Rebooting with the install DVD and running disk utility showed the drive each time, but only showed the partition on it once. I tried running both 'verify' and 'repair' on the partition; verify failed, and repair froze. I then tried mounting the partition manually from terminal, without success.

I then figured it was a partition table problem; I've manually re-created partitions on various unix boxes in the past by setting the correct size/geometry, but am not that familiar with HFS+; since there was a 'format' option and something resembling 'create new partition' (without the format) I assumed that might do it; unfortunately, it started formatting the drive so I killed it.

I tried rebooting with the DVD again a few times; when the partition finally showed up again, it was empty. I am pretty sure my drive is physically dead or dying, but I am willing to hook it up to an external enclosure and to try a few times to get another machine to recognize it, to see if I can get any data off it.

My questions are as follows:

- Is there a way to re-build just an HFS+ partition table on an external drive (i.e. without formatting)?
- IF I can access the drive/partition, does it matter that I had filevault on it?

Thanks so much for any help, would love to avoid paying a grand to Kroll for forensic work...

If you're willing to pay money, you might look at FileSalvage from SubRosaSoft. I've heard good things about it. As the name implies, it is a file salvage application for seriously messed up hard drives. Yours seems to fit the bill.

$80 download
$90 cd

Best of luck.
Doug

Thanks Doug,

there are a number of interesting salvage apps out there, including something called Nucleus Kernel (I unfortunately can't just dd the drive contents over to another unix box because none of the machines I have know what to do with HFS+.)

My question was more of a general one though -- regarding the logistics of HFS+ partition tables, and whether it's still possible to recover underlying content, even if the drive (when accessible) thinks there is a new partition on top, and if I was running file vault... :-(

File Vault too? Ouch.

That means your home folder is one big disk image file. Surely it's corrupted. I don't think even Drive Savers would be able to help you. They'd likely have to recover the file intact to be able to unlock it with OS X. And the odds of your home folder not being corrupt are slim.

IMHO, of course.

Sorry to hear that.

Doug

Back