Recovering my files...

ssbl_bliss

Registered
Here's my laptop: 2.8ghz, 8gb ram, 500GB HD

I was running MACOSX Snow Leopard for 3 months and everything was fine. I was THIS CLOSE to backing up my files (now regretting that I didn't) and then I was running Boot Camp and tried to install Windows XP on it.

So I'm partitioning the drive, it showed an odd number and I knew it didn't make sense because it showed that I had about 1.5 gb of hard drive space where I can install Windows. I did it anyway, and after I re-started, NOTHING.

My MacOSX is gone... my Windows doesnt boot up (it's a legit CD that I purchased) and I'm hoping I can recover my old Mac OSX.

What's the best way of going about this?? I need help!!

Ouch! You can attempt to recover your data with Prosoft's Data Rescue, though it will cost you.

Do you have an external drive you can use with Time Machine so this doesn't happen again? Also clone your drive with the free Carbon Copy Cloner. I had to revert to my time Mach. Backup once, but it didn't work. Having a second backup is an excellent idea.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out.

I know this is an old thread, but I happened to read it and thought my reply was incomplete.

In a situation like this, I would first attempt to recover my files using Data Rescue for the OS X partition and whatever's good on the Windows side currently (I'm not up-to-date, unfortunately). Then, boot from the system disc that came with your Mac, or your most recent OS X retail disc:

> Put the disc in the drive and restart (or turn on) your Mac while holding C. Follow directions to reinstall OS X. *Reinstalling will likely destroy all previously deleted data.* So don't reinstall OS X or Windows until you've done your best to recover your data.

Back