recovering trash

Mike Adams

Registered
OK, I made a really dumb msitake and trashed a folder containing some Keynote files. I am using 10.3.9 and have not done anything that might have overwritten the files. Any advice on the best way to recover them?

Thanks

Mike Adams said:
...and have not done anything that might have overwritten the files.
By that I assume you mean that you immediately quit using the machine and shut down. There are three possibilities that might work according to how much the files are worth to you. Data Rescue at $89.00, File Salvage at $89.95, or pull the drive and send it to Drive Savers for anywhere from $500 to $?,???.

When you boot up again, don't boot from the drive you will be attempting to recover the files from or the OS X swapfiles, cache files, etc. may overwrite the trashed files.

This might be to late, but if you happen to accidently erase anything again, switch off the power at the powerpoint wait a few seconds switch the power back on and start up your Mac. The files should be still in the trash as the Cache did not clear them through the shut down procedure.

Something I read in a Mac book book published about 1988 or something. But never tried it... sorry

Q. With those file recovery programs, wouldn't you need a second drive or partition to put the recovered files onto?

sirstaunch said:
Q. With those file recovery programs, wouldn't you need a second drive or partition to put the recovered files onto?
Yes you would have to boot from and recover to another drive. Sadly I don't think your 1988 vintage recovery trick will work with OS X.

Back