Recurring Time Machine issues + more!

blkbrd

Registered
I have an aluminum iMac running Snow Leopard and am having several problems that I believe are connected to one another although I have no idea how or why.

Problem#1:Time Machine failure. If not complete failure it gets stuck in either "Cleaning Up" or other stages of backing up. I've already replaced the external HD that I've used thinking it may have been the culprit. Bought another brand / model external HD. Have had it working for about 3-4 days. It is now exemplifying the same issues. Repairing the drive has failed and was just now forced to erase it and start again. It's now STUCK at 1.19GB of 569.01GB of a new attempt to use it as a backup. The old external HD had exactly the same problems leaving me to believe that it's the Time Machine software or other issue and not the external HD.

Problem#2: Audio scratchyness or "hiccups". This goes not only for iTunes but also any online music (via browser) or video and basically any audio from my computer. Playing audio in a test user account does NOT have this issue. This audio problem immediately follows the Time Machine snags. I have fixed this audio problem by repairing permissions of the Macintosh HD but as soon as I have a Time Machine snag the audio problem is back. Repairing works but the same thing happens with each new Time Machine snag.

Problem #3: Internet access drops. Airport turns off and is unresponsive when I click to turn it on. I have my Ethernet plugged in as a backup but SOMETIMES that doesn't even matter. I will have a green light on for it but I will still get no internet.

These three issues happened all together MONTHS ago immediately after installing Snow Leopard. Because of my new Snow Leopard purchase I was able to get Apple tech support which had me do something with all of my preferences...delete and replace them one by one? I can't really remember the details and wouldn't want to try without guidance. Anyway, I had smooth sailing for many months and now I'm here again... going bananas.

Sorry about this LONG post but I didn't want to leave one of those out in case there is a connecting thread that a Mac genius would see that I would miss.

Any response would be greatly appreciated! Going out of my mind.

Do you have any anti virus software running ?

If so try disabling it as I've seen this cause the above problems after upgrading to SL.

Okay. I just had my computer restart without any notification and in the middle of me working. After looking to see why, I checked my Console. This HAS to be the reason my computer is acting like it's possessed! I'm attaching a screenshot of my Console screen.

Carbonite is an online backup program that I did the Trial for, decided I didn't want it, and then uninstalled it... properly. It appears that something is reaching from beyond the grave. When I search "Carbonite" in spotlight I get nothing.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-25 at 2.36.00 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-25 at 2.36.00 PM.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back