red/green blotchy jpeg display

sandbagger

Registered
don't really know if this is hardware or OS (suspect maybe combination) so I'll start here. All of my iPhoto (ver 2) pix are displaying in a very ugly over-saturated combination of greens and reds. Preview shows the same, but not on everything. GraphicConverter shows most JPEGs correctly, but some exhibit the same green/red condition.

I saw this behavior several months ago and then it stopped. But now a couple months ago it suddenly surfaced again and my wife is getting very annoyed that she can't see her photos (while her PC friends can - not good!) :eek:

I think the problem resurfaced about the time I did 10.3.7 or .8 update. A couple weeks ago I had to do an OS archive and re-install. Immediately after the initial 10.3 CD install I checked iPhoto and the colors were correct. After I ran Software Update the red/green was back.

still running OEM Rage 128 connected to 19" Hitachi CM721 monitor. Do I have a video/monitor mismatch? (have tried all sorts of pref settings and no improvement) monitor is about a year newer than the Mac.

Its your colour profile.. I had the same issue on my machine.

Just go into your colour options and have a play with the profiles.

Yep, it's your monitor. Had the same issue with a Hitachi 17" CM615.

If I remember correctly, this was a widespread issue and a fix of sorts was posted on the Apple discussion boards.

I had to select a generic RGB profile, then run Panther Cache Cleaner and do a deep cleaning, then click reboot.

On reboot, boot to open firmware - Cmd Option O F - and reset NVRAM.

reset-NVRAM <return>
reset-all <return>

When it reboots, all should be well. For a while, anyway.

it's not a profile problem - tried that many times.

I just did a search of Apple and apparently those old posts are gone and nothing in the KB. But interetingly enough there was a brand new post from a new Mini owner with the same problem. sure nuff - he bought the Mini to use with his PC peripherals and his monitor is the same Hitachi 721.

I'm a little leary of PCC - that was what prompted the OS reinstall I mentioned. Maybe I'll try the NVRAM reset first w/o PCC.

I was looking at a video card upgrade, but doesn't look like it will help, eh?
--------------------------
reset didn't work. Tried cleaning with Onyx and reset - still no go. Will try PCC later - when I have time to re-install OS if necessary

I was thinking about it last night, and I think the fix was actually posted on Macfixit. But it was so long ago, I'm not sure now. I know I had a discussion here with someone about it.

No, upgrading the video card will do nothing - it happened to me with 3 different video cards...

well, I think you have it - a new post by someone else on the Apple forums pointed to MacFixit and actually had the links. Unfortunately they are behind the paid subscriber wall. My sub expired and I'm not anxious to shell out 25 bucks especially if there's no assurance it will work and I didn't use it (sub) last time. (I guess I find the idea of 25 bucks for the forums a bit annoying which led me to look for other sites like MacOSX.)

Maybe I'll try Hitachi just for grins.

Back