Refined Site Design - Long Rollout

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents after having used the new design for awhile. I'm afraid I preferred the old style overall, although I don't like sounding negative after someone has put hard work into making changes to the site, and so I'm a bit reluctant to say this!

I find the new circular icons look a bit odd as the lighting effect (at 1024x768 on Firefox on a PC at work) make the icons look less round, and I find them less friendly. With these new icons it can be seen which forums have new posts, but one has to look a little bit, whereas the old style icons jumped off the page more, because they were orange when there were new posts.

I don't know if this was a change or if I just never noticed it before, but the boxes seem "loose," as there are not always borders around them. In the forum listing, I find it looks fine, but when reading the actual posts it bugs me quite a lot! This might be more of a statement about my quirkiness, though... ;)

The ads can look a little confusing, when dotted amongst the posts. With the lack of borders, it can look a little messy to me, and look as though the ads are part of people's posts.

Actually, I quite prefer "liquid" layouts, rather than fixed-width layouts, but I know this is an area of debate for a lot of people. I was finding the new layout too wide, but the option to have the narrow width layout has helped a lot, so thanks for adding that. :)

Back