Reformatting a partition in OS X

jeanmarie

Do you know a way in MacOS X Public Beta to format an existing partition to UFS ? I'm really concerned by the filename size limitations when expanding *X packages. I wonder if it's possible in X or if I have to get back to OS 9 (which I try to use the less now :D) or to start and abort a new OSXPB install on that partition...
Apple could have included a simple formatting tool, I'm afraid HD Utility would erase all my disk.

You should be able to use the disk utility app in OS X to do that. It gives you the options of Mac OS + or UFS.

I'm afraid HD Utility formats a whole drive. I just want to convert ONE partition to UFS, not the whole 40 GB disk, where all my data is stored. I can't imagine erasing all that stuff… Do you know for sure if HD Utility will let me do that ?

Originally posted by jeanmarie
I'm really concerned by the filename size limitations when expanding *X packages

But HFS+ has a limit of 255 chars. I'm no expert on UFS but I think you have something simiular there. So what would you gain?

HFS+ has a path+filename limit of 255 characters, that means MacOS X/Applications/etc. (the full path) must be under 255, BUT the filename has a 32 characters limit... (as far as i remember)
Now imagine you want a cool GNU freeware thats been designed for linux but that could run on X. When you expand and compile the package you downloaded, some filenames over 32 characters could have been truncated, and you couldnt use the software…
Another example : imagine you download a file who's
name is over 32 characters. If its name is truncated,
then the extension (that little letters after the dot) would be uncorrect, and then a simple user wouldnt be able to open it, because the system wouldnt know what app could open it… I know I only talk about download, but thats what well be living for ;)

BUT the filename has a 32 characters limit... (as far as i remember)[/B]

Nope, thats not right. I have files on my HFS+ partion that have names that are greater then 32 chars. A pathname is never stored as a string on the harddisk so a limit of 255 chars in a path name, doesn´t make sence.

The current MacOS is limited to 32 chars, so if your not using MacOS X you are limited by the OS not hfs+. That can be what you are referring to.

Mc Mas is correct : HFS+ has a limit of 255 unicode symbols. These file names will be preserved if you go in MacOS 9's Finder... only they will not be displayed. They are going to be truncated to fit the 32 symbols limit of the Finder, but that is okay : when you will be back in OS X, all your file names will recover their full 255 characters glory ! ;)

I do know that the disk utility will allow you to set up another partition. However, I also know that it will not allow you to only partition part of an existing drive. This mean yes, you would have to erase everything. I am not sure if there is a program that will allow you to do that. I would just burn everthing to CD or back it up some how. Then you should be able to reformat the drive to as many partition that you need then copy your data back. Unless you can find a program that will allow you to partition off of an existing drive, I believe this is your only choice.

In fact I will try to start an UFS install on that partition with the OS X beta cd as soon as my friend gets it back to me :)
I wonder why the "Erase Disk…" option in the Finder's Special Menu is disabled by Apple… It would be great if this feature could be unlockable like some others described up here.

Originally posted by jeanmarie
The HD Utility formats a whole drive. I just want to convert ONE partition to UFS, not the whole 40 GB disk

When you pick the HFS+ volume in the X installer target selection panel, click on the "erase this volume as" checkbox, and select UFS as the filesystem type.

That will cause the installer to convert your HFS+ volume to a UFS volume. Any data on the HFS+ volume will be <b>lost</b>.

-pmb

Back