Refurbished Apple Computers: Any Good?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I was browsing Apple.com and ended up at their online store under "Refurbished Products." I'm looking for a desktop computer for my parents. They've never really had their own computer (I've let them use mine, and they use public computers at libraries and such, but that's about it), and I'm trying to get them a Mac in order to save them from all the headaches and problems of the Windows world. They don't really know a lot about computers, so I'd rather see them get something user friendly that they won't likely have any technical problems with (i.e., a Mac). They won't be spending an insane amount of time on it--mostly just for Internet once in a while and for keeping business records, etc.--so they don't want to pay an obscene amount of money.

Sorry for rambling here. There *is* a point to this post: I was wondering if anyone here has ever bought any of Apple's refurbished products and what your experience was? Also: What exactly is a "refurbished product"? Does it just mean that's used and has had previous owners, etc.? How can I find out just *how* used it is? I don't want to buy something that's been badly tinkered with.

There's an iMac G5 17-inch 1.8GHz Combo Drive for $849 that I'm thinking about buying them. Or am I just setting myself up for complications by purchasing refurbished products?

P.S. Also: Does Apple wipe the system clean and reinstall everything on refurbished products or is the previous owner's stuff on there? Is it just like if you'd bought it brand new and took it out of the box and started filling out forms, etc. as if you were the very first owner?

Apple refurbished are completely gone over. Anything that needs replacing is done and a clean system installed. The refurbs come with the same 1 year warranty as a new machine. I bought a refurb'd G4 powerBook a couple years ago and it's still going strong.

bobw said:
Apple refurbished are completely gone over. Anything that needs replacing is done and a clean system installed. The refurbs come with the same 1 year warranty as a new machine. I bought a refurb'd G4 powerBook a couple years ago and it's still going strong.
Thanks for the feedback, Bobw. PowerBooks ROCK. :)

Took some snapshots of the Web page of that iMac G5 for my parents. Gonna show it to 'em tonight. That's a darn good deal. Regular price is $1,300.

Im a BIG Refurb fan from Apple. Save a few bucks and get practically a new machine. A good deal if you find the setup your want.

Yes, My two year old 1.25 15" Al Powerbook came from there and I can only say that that is where my next one will come from! Is there such a thing as better than new?

I have purchased Apple refrb before and been very pleased. My only complaint was my prior PB came in just a plain vanilla box LOL.

AFAIK, a refurbished machine takes the working parts from other non-working machines at the factory and they basically build a whole new working machine with the good parts. All the parts are tested and go through the same rigorous tests as the machines built "new." Refurbished machines are basically "new" but because they don't use original compoments they can't be called "new." Of course, this doesn't meant that they are any less better than those that are called "new."

I just helped my parents get an iBook 14" for my sister. Getting the same exact model with the same exact features, but refurbished instead of new, allowed them to get a good notebook computer and the AppleCare extended warranty for the same price if not less than a brand new iBook without the extended warranty.

I have purchased a G5 iMac as a refurb and had NO problems what so ever. However I also purchased a G4 powerbook as a demo from a Mac store and it was a nightmare. I eventually returned it and just got a new one. I still am fighting with the apple store because they charged me a $180 restock fee. I just don't feel I should have to pay this since that the thing wouldn't charge after charging an hour.

Back