Regular vs. Smart Playlists in iTunes

anerki

Registered
I'm currently using a combination of normal and smart playlists in iTunes. I've got normal playlists for all my albums, and smart playlists for music I have as an album but never really listen to as an album, for example, my Jazz smart playlist consists every song with the genre as "Jazz".

Needless to say, this takes a lot of organizing but it's definitely worth it. Now I've been thinking about making them all Smart Playlists, this would make organizing even more miticulous, but there wouldn't be "accidents", like songs I accidently deleted from a playlist when hitting the delete button or w/ever.

Since smart playlists update on-the-spot if you add new songs, I was wondering if they use more CPU? iTunes is already a memory/resource hog, will adding hundreds of smart playlists make a big difference in resources used?

Smart lists should be grepped for the tracks only when needed. So it's not like having thousands of fonts in the system - should not make that much of an effect for slowing the system down.

Back