Reinstall Firmware update MacBook Pro

mrcarson2

Registered
I have a late 2006 macbook pro (2.0Ghz CD) and I believe I am having problems with the video card, the computer freezes randomly, however I am able to move the mouse. I am also getting little lines of different colored pixels randomly, they show up on a screen cap so I know its not the screen. I was wondering if a reinstallation of the firmware, or a revert to the original firmware would somehow fix my problems. I do not have applecare so that is out of the question.

IMHO, the answer isn't Firmware related.

I don't think you would have much luck with trying to reinstall the Firmware anyway, although I did read something the other day involving Pacifist that begged to differ ...

Reverting to the original Firmware would also be unnecessary and maybe not an option, with there being a possibility of non-compatibility between your OS and the older Firmware.

I'm not sure of any known issues with your model MBP re: the Graphics Card, but I will check on that ...

You could run the Hardware Test from the install disc and see if that uncovers anything. Also, do you have an external display to test this with?

Another thing to try is to use a different User Account for a while to see if that makes any difference ...

I think I have tried everything. I reinstalled the OS (formatted), ran apple hardware test on extended about 6 times (found nothing). Ran Tech Tool Pro and it passed all tests. I also put different RAM in and also tested mine in a windows pc and ran Memtest86+ on it, it passed. I believe that it is hardware related. :(

Back