reinstall OS X after linux install

SoltoN

Registered
So lets assume I have been doing an article about using a G4 Mac Mini as a web/file/print server for a house. Lets also assume that in my quest to provide the easiest alternative for the article that I loaded up (first) Ubuntu on the box (wiping the entire drive instead of creating a new partition).

Now in theory, how would I format the hard drive back to hfs+ without actually having os x running on the machine? (the os x install cd doesn't see the drive, as it is looking for a volume, not a physical drive).

Any advise would be extremely helpful, I'm a new mac convert (a few months) and I'm not 100% on all the ins and outs of reinstalling after a wipe.

When booting from the installation CD/DVD, find Disk Utility (or similar) in the menubar before heading directly to the installation process.

If you boot from the install CD, then (from the Menu Bar) open Disk Utility. It should see the HD, which can then be reformatted (erased) and set back to your choice.

My experience with Ubuntu left an unpleasant taste in my mouth...I tried to install it on a partition but no luck...it could only be installed on a separate HD which was reformatted for a Unix File System. I did this and installed Ubuntu and it then worked okay...however, when booted in Ubuntu, none of my other HFS HD's could be seen. I got rid of it.

Good luck,
Matt

Rgarding Ubuntu, if you install using the Alternate Installation CD instead of the Live CD, you'll have better luck. I've done a bunch of installs on PPC computers using the Alternate Install discs and they've gone smoothly (with some exceptions). If you still want to give it a try, do it using the Alternate install discs....not as pretty as the Live CD, but a more flexible installation than the Live CD will be (at least for a while).

Also, with the Alternate Installation you can give the HFS+ partitions mount points through the partitioning section so that you can view them after the installation.

As for wiping the drive, if you boot from the OS X installation discs you can select to launch Disk Utility from the menubar once you've reached the welcome screen of the installation.

I think the Disk Utility in the menubar has now been mentioned 4 times - including this very post. ;)

So - letting no one assume anything, nor speak of any theory(ies) ...

01. Insert the Apple provided boot / install disc.
02. Turn OFF the Mac Mini.
03. Press and keep pressed, the <option> key ... untill instructed otherwise.
04. Turn ON the Mac Mini, and wait ... wait ... wait, until a blue screen appears. At this time you may release the <option> key. Continue to wait until all bootable volumes are listed, and the mouse cursor eventually changes to an arrow.
05. Click on the icon of the boot / install disc, and then click on the '-->' button.
06. After the boot / install disc is booted from, and the installation process begins - continue through the process.

Erh, no, that would exactly _not_ lead him to Disk Utility, which is required, because the installer doesn't see any volumes right now.

Back