Reinstalling Internet Explorer

cthompso

Registered
I greatly prefer Safari, but there are some sites for which I need Internet Explorer. A few weeks ago it stopped working. When I tried to start it, it would just flash briefly on the screen and then flash a message saying, "Internet Explorer has unexpectedly quit." This happened repeatedly. Finally, I just deleted Explorer and downloaded a new copy using Safari. I tried to install it, but at one point the only option was "Upgrade." It did a very quick installation, and when I try to use it I get exactly the same results as before. I've tried this a couple of times. Is there something I need to delete besides the Explorer program?

Thanks!

Worked perfectly, to a point. I installed 5.2.2. and then tried to start it up. It seemed to install properly instead of just installing an upgrade. Unfortunately, when I started the application, I got exactly the same behavior--as soon as it started to load, it quit. So I've got another problem, and I've no idea what it is.

Thanks anyway!

There are preference files that you should delete, but I'm not sure what those would be. Let me look...

Okay, navigate to Users > Your user name > Library > Preferences and look for the file com.microsoft.explorer.plist. Move this file to a different location, such as your Documents folder, and log out and into your account. Then try Explorer. If the problem goes away, delete this file from wherever you put it.

Excellent idea, but I moved it to trash and then tried again with no luck. Then tried rebooting, still no luck. Exactly the same result. Thanks for your ideas, though. Bound to be something that will work.

Back