Relational Database

... just realised - I left out the most important bit of the select SQL (can you tell I didn't actually try it out ;-)))

It should have read:

select a.name, b.street, b.state, b.post_code from one a, two b where a.id = 0 and a.address = b.id;

Otherwise, we're not 'joining' on the two tables.

Also, if you need more info on SQL, just use google to do a search on "SQL tutorial". Should come up with plenty of info. Once you're familiar with how everything works in principal, the MySQL online docs have a very extensive section on the exact SQL syntax used by MySQL - you'll never need any other SQL documentation than that ;-)

C

First of all let me say I mean no disrespect to mysql, and php rocks. However, I started reading this thread because I do use MS Access at work on my PC, and I'm looking for a similar mac-based choice. I suspect Filemaker would be fine, but is there something else? Here is what I'm up against:

1. My colleagues need to be able to edit a database and write reports using the data. Most of them understand the concept of creating a query using the MS Access query builder to obtain sets of information, and would want something similarly simple to use.

2. I'd like to be able to set up forms front-ends for data entry;

3. My colleagues need to be able to make new databases little or no help from me.

4. I need to be able to put a Web-searchable front-end on the database.

Whatcha think, is Filemaker pro my best bet here?

Yes, if your happy to buy a licence for each machine.

I administrate a mixed SQL Server, php intranet, FileMaker Pro environment.

FMPro is widely used by all staff with minimal computing skills to create/maintain thier own dbs and create reports.

Most of the stuff they come up with is shocking, but they don't know any better, it keeps them out of my hair and does what's required.

If you need anymore info, feel free to pick my brain.

Nick

Back