Relay access denied-Sever 10.5

CapeGaz

Registered
I have been running Mac OS X Server 10.3 without trouble for a long time. Upgrading to 10.5 has been nighmarish. I cloned my startup drive before starting. The installer refused to install on the 1 TB drive that 10.3 was running from. Disk Utility hung several times attempting to re-partition the drive.

With the newspaper approaching deadline in a few hours, attempted to run the installer on the cloned drive as an "upgrade." Afterward, file services worked fine, but mail server was refusing all SMTP connections from the outside World. I had previously configured main.cf to block spam, and figured I had a conflict with 10.5's new anti-spam features. I ran software update, and the server had a kernal panic during the update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.8.

Arrrggh!! Now my server would not even boot up! My backup plan to revert back to the original system was no longer an option.

Got through deadline by sticking data drives in a desktop machine and using personal file sharing.

Boot drive mounts on other machine, but I was unable to correct bad system.

Original 1 TB drive finally accepted installation after a couple repartitionings in different partition map types. Installed Server 10.5., so I am starting with a clean install and all users entered from scratch via Workgroup Manager.

Incoming mail still bounces.

I suspect I need an entry in DNS and/or my host information is wrong. I attempted to put in a zone in DNS and the SMTP log said, "server looping in on itself."

My ISP is providing a static IP address with "A" record pointing to mail.capegazette.com and with reverse lookup entry. I have one Ethernet interface naked to the Internet, the other on a private IP address.

I had my "Internet host name" as "mail.capegazette.com." I changed it to "capegazette.com" and the problem is resolved.

Back