Remember Apple and G5?

if you tend to buy at the wrong times, you're right in waiting now. there _will_ be a change in about half a year (!), but that's still half a year away. whether we'll see the G5 (finally!) or _something else_ doesn't matter.

I think that could be the reason for the G5 delay. Someone at Apple is waiting for me to make a move.
I have to admit that Jaguar has made my G3 Wallstreet a little more valuable than it was, that is the only reason I have been able to wait so long.

Calliex

They are building dual proc machines because you need two of them to even stay in the same ballpark as a P4. Sorry guys, it's not an effort to reduce inventory.

Exactly. Motorolla can't make faster chips so Apple is dumping two chips in each tower just to compete with the single processor x86s :rolleyes:

If something doesn't happen quick, we're going to see quad processor G4s.

[edit]qutoed the wrong post :\ [/edit]

And there will be G5's...big Q is, as always, when? My guess: June 2003.
Why? They(Apple) will B too busy until the end of this year to get the bugs out of Jaguar, iChat and iCal. Too busy trying to get everyone a .mac account (they won't get my money but that's a whole other story). So they'll have the time from X-mas(;) ) until Spring 2003. Spring is the best season to come up with something new right? Everybody will fall in love with the G5's in their new cases!!

Just my €0,02 thoughts

Earlier this year, before the first MacWorld of 2002, I predicted Apple would move to a different sort of model tiering. I predicted that Apple would go to dual G4's in power systems, and put powerful single G4's in desktop models in order to compete until the G5 (which I've been saying for the past few months would likely be made as the IBM Power4 in the new ultra-fab they just made) was ready to ship.

And it makes perfect sense for Apple to go to a single/multi tiering system for consumer and power system sales. It's the most sensible method that allows them to continue ramping up performance on both the consumer and professional level systems without artificially holding back power like they have for the past several years.

Gee, but what made me really comfortable lately is the pace where new machines roll out of the production lines. You buy something new these days and a few months later.... another new model rolls out, unlike a few years back.

There is good and bad in this whole thing, but it just kills the prices and value of Macs. Just wish that they can slow down a little bit.

Originally posted by plastic
But it is fun to see so many people coming in here and start discussing and guessing what is next. And APPLE's statement back during the shortage of G4 chips era was G5 in 2003. So I brought it all back for a fun session of spamming and chatting among the Mac users. Please don't let this turn into something serious. It was never meant to be.

Well I only purchase odd numbered processors, the 601 in my Power120, my current G3 and my next will be the G5. Hey a man's gotta have some kind of consistency.:D

Originally posted by drash

Well I only purchase odd numbered processors, the 601 in my Power120, my current G3 and my next will be the G5. Hey a man's gotta have some kind of consistency.:D

Hope Mr-Odd-Number-System will get his new system soon. :D

I am hoping too...

Back