Remember that botched Microsoft ad...

hahahahaha! microsoft is the dumbest company that means... has apple done anything that stupid? If they copy an idea, it works.... but they haven't copied any ideas, and that's why i think they are a very good company...

Originally posted by Androo
hahahahaha! microsoft is the dumbest company that means... has apple done anything that stupid? If they copy an idea, it works.... but they haven't copied any ideas, and that's why i think they are a very good company...

Didn't Apple copy the idea of a GUI from Xerox????

No, Apple improved upon the idea So that it could be used by the masses. I have never seen Apple copy anything exactly. Microsoft tried to copy the OS and the only reason they even got that far and are still around is that IBM made the biggest blunder of the century.

I'll get blasted here obviously, but I find that Microsoft did more with the GUI than Apple did.

The taskbar, the system tray: both are great ideas. I'm not a big fan of the start button, but combined with the Windows key on keyboards it makes navigation pretty quick. Of course, the Recycle Bin in Windows is pretty useless compared to the Trash on the Mac. The Recycle Bin is more of a decoration than anything else considering most Windows users would prefer to press DEL than drag anything anywhere. Also, maximize and minimize, as simple as they are, are perfectly implemented unlike the maximize on the Mac (which is based on, I suppose, a very loose definition of the word maximize). Using HTML in the GUI exploration was a brilliant idea too, though unsecure, that allowed for programs to be greater implemented with the system. Anyways, that's my opinion.

Andre

Originally posted by cellfish
...Also, maximize and minimize, as simple as they are, are perfectly implemented unlike the maximize on the Mac (which is based on, I suppose, a very loose definition of the word maximize). Using HTML in the GUI exploration was a brilliant idea too, though unsecure, that allowed for programs to be greater implemented with the system. Anyways, that's my opinion.

Andre
As I sit here on a Penn State Abington lab machine running Windows 2000, I yet again experience why maximizing on the Mac is so different (and in my opinion, better) than maximising in Windows. Having the maximize function cause the window to take over the screen serve one important purpose for M$: it helps users ignore this operating system's lack of multitasking abilities. On my Mac at home, I can actuall hava an app open, ready to use, without any windows open. Here, I close the last word document, and the next time I open one Word must start up again. Lets say I want to have multiple apps open, each with several windows. In this case, I can keep the windows non-maximized on either OS, but in Windows there are as manu menubars as there are windows. This takes up a significant amount of screen real-estate, another reason maximizing is the way it is in Windows. I like the Menu bar always being in the same place, so the File and Edit menus are always in the same place. MacOS X's way of Maximising allows me to do something I was never good at before: multitasking. This OS has not only improved my computer efficiency/profficiency, but also has improved the way I handle my daily life.
Using HTML in the GUI does provide security issues, as you mentioned, as well as limiting the file navigation GUI to HTML's capabilities. It also only allows programs of M$'s choice to be "greater implemented" witht the system, and my personal experience with this in Win98, ME, NT, 2k, and XP (Home and Pro) has shown nothing great about its implementation.

Originally posted by Rhino_G3
If you've actualy seen the GUI that Xerox had you'll definately find that it's a blatent rip off. Apple did their fair share of copying on it.

Much more than Microsoft did with copying the Mac GUI for windows. The only difference is that Apple negotiated a deal with Xerox.

Umm.....how can it be a blatant rip-off if there was a negotiated deal (which is all part of the history books, those who believe that Apple stole the idea from Xerox don't know what their talking about. They need to read things like Rhino linked above.) There was no rip-off on Apple's part. The borrowing and building upon of someone's else idea? Sure. The greatest minds of all time have always built upon the work of those before them. No thinker has ever worked in a vacuum.

If there was any rip-off, it was Micro$loth when they "developed" Winblows.

It's not 'maximise' on a Macintosh. You only think it is coming from a PC. Expecting the _same_ behaviour is just wrong.

The (+) button derives from the old 'normalise' button from Macintosh systems since, what, System 1.0 I guess... What it did, and does, is adapt the window to the size 'needed'. Yes it doesn't always behave right in Mac OS X just yet, which is bad, but it's _NOT_ a maximise button.

There's a fundamental difference between the Mac and the Windows GUI that also makes the Mac much more intuitive to use: The Windows GUI thinks of One app in a main window, while the Mac's GUI is spatial.

Maximising windows is thought of as a disease in Mac OS (X) rather than a feature that should be available. Why would you want to hide everything else by the frontmost window? I tend to work with different windows, dragging stuff from/to the desktop and other windows...

Alright then. You've come up with a way to defend the 'maximize' or 'normalize' feature of OS X. I'm proud of you but let's face it, the green button is still useless.

But there's another problem. Resizing windows. On OS X, the only way to do it is by dragging the bottom-right to make the window larger. On Windows, you can drag any area whether it's the side or the corners. This come in handy if your window is already at the bottom-right and you can't quite reach the lower-right part of whatever window you want to resize. In OS X, you're basically forced to move the window first and then resize it whereas in windows you can resize it from wherever you want.

It's not much, but it removes a common nuisance in OS X. Frankly, there are a lot of nuisances in OS X.

Andre

One man's feature is another man's nuisance. I for one (and some will think I'm crazy here) hate that feature of windows! I like the fact that there is only one place from which to resize the window. If you think about it, moving the window then resizing it sometimes takes less work. I can quickly drag the window where I want the upper left corner, and then affect the overall size of the window from a single corner. In Winblows I have to drag this side, then drag this side, then drag this side. . .on and on with your preferred method.

Again, I think the key here is that what some people hate, others love, and vice versa.

Umm ebolag4, you CAN resize the window in Windows in the exact same way that you can for a Mac. Mac can't resize from any side like Windows can, but Windows can resize the way the Mac can.

There's nothing a Mac can do that Windows can't do as well.

Andre

Yes there is cellfish. There is indeed at least one thing a Mac can do that a PC can't.

Give me a good experience!

Originally posted by ebolag4
Yes there is cellfish. There is indeed at least one thing a Mac can do that a PC can't.

Give me a good experience!

Interestingly enough, my Mac experience was painful and very uninteresting. My PC experience is bliss.

Andre

I quote myself:

One man's feature is another man's nuisance.
|
|
|
Again, I think the key here is that what some people hate, others love, and vice versa.

Each to his own dude, each to his own. But what do you expect from a Mac-centric board?:confused: Notice I said that it gives ME a good experience.

I quote myself:

Each to his own dude, each to his own. But what do you expect from a Mac-centric board?:confused: Notice I said that it gives ME a good experience.
That's a very interesting point. When did you go to the apple store last?

When did who go to the Apple store last? I'm missing something here Androo. YOu talking to me or cellfish or both?

Back