Remote access?

Paul C

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a macbook with Leopard installed and an Elgato EyeTv, thing is I'm sick of turning my macbook on when I have something in the schedule to record as it kinda defeats the object.

I was looking to get a G4 Powermac (around 800mhz) as a media/tv server and storage server, I also wondered if there is any free/cheap software to access the Powermac over the internet/network from my macbook, kinda like remote desktop connection for windoze?

If anyone has any setup suggestions they would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Well you can actually do it all for free. It will take some changing of setting on your router. Then you can just use VNC, I always prefered Vine, but Chicken of the VNC is alright too. Pretty much what you have to do is port forward your computer so it can be seen on the internet. then you will use your IP that you can get here, however to will change whenever you reset your modem or router, so check it often.
If you have MobileMe, they provide Back to My Mac which is great because it requires no setup, also the nice thing is you don't have to see what your IP is every time.

Back