Remote Desktop Question

jaredbkt

Registered
I have installed the Admin remote desktop software on my machine. My friend has the Client software on his. He's also on a small network at his house that has a router splitting the cable modem connection to multiple machines.

How can I find his computer across the internet to connect via ARD? Any ideas? The IP address he has is a 192.168 number which is not the real IP address. How can I find his machine?

he will have to port forward what ever port the Remote Desktop operates on to his 192.xxx ip in his routers configuration

port forwarding will allow you to connect to his computer via the router that he is behind by telling your signal to go to his computer... in the routers fimware he should be able to "port forwad" the RDC port... I have no idea what port it operates on but google can help you with that...

If he is using the 192.168 on a cable modem setup, we can assume he has a router. More than likely his router will have a NAT function in it. With NAT enabled you can do port forwarding, so anything coming in to port, say 109, will get forwarded to the private IP that you have assigned to it. That should easily correct the problem. I have my PC setup like that so when I'm at class I can connection to my Windoze machine with my powerbook using the Remote desktop connection for Mac. It's really nice.

-Juxel

Back